Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 19 Won't Be Released Until This Summer

Phoronix: Fedora 19 Won't Be Released Until This Summer

At today's Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee, more of the proposed Fedora 19 features were talked about and the Fedora 19 release schedule was ratified. Fedora 19 will not be officially released now until the end of June...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It irks me when people use seasons to donate a time of year on the Internet, because without specifying what hemisphere they're referring to, it's meaningless. Mid-year might be more appropriate in this case, otherwise using quarters or halves is also informative.

Comment

You are right to say that this is not a good way to give a timeframe. But since only 10% of the population live in the southern hemisphere, michael lives in the northern hemisphere and it's already summer in the southern hemisphere right now, I would say "summer in nothern hemisphere" is a good guess here ;-)

Comment

GNOMEs will be pissed to see widespread 3.8 adoption so late?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          Probably, though since 3.8 isn't due until the end of March anyway, it's no worse than Fedora 18's late delivery of 3.6.

The bigger concern would be that with all the delays to F18, Fedora's six-month release cycle is 3 months out of phase with upstream Gnome. They can live with that for a release or two, but I suspect that if F19 sees delays pushing it further back, they might opt to just go straight to Gnome 3.10 to get themselves back in sync.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
            Probably, though since 3.8 isn't due until the end of March anyway, it's no worse than Fedora 18's late delivery of 3.6.

The bigger concern would be that with all the delays to F18, Fedora's six-month release cycle is 3 months out of phase with upstream Gnome. They can live with that for a release or two, but I suspect that if F19 sees delays pushing it further back, they might opt to just go straight to Gnome 3.10 to get themselves back in sync.
            In ubuntu adding a PPA let's you try the latest version of Gnome Shell. Do you think something similar will become available between releases 19 and 20 of Fedora? What are the odds?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              I don't see why. Even after 3.8 is released it'll take a few weeks for some of the extensions and such to catch up. Anyone who really just can't wait will probably already be running a beta.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                In ubuntu adding a PPA let's you try the latest version of Gnome Shell. Do you think something similar will become available between releases 19 and 20 of Fedora? What are the odds?
                I was going to ask the same question. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                X