Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Fedora 19 Won't Be Released Until This Summer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,591

    Default Fedora 19 Won't Be Released Until This Summer

    Phoronix: Fedora 19 Won't Be Released Until This Summer

    At today's Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee, more of the proposed Fedora 19 features were talked about and the Fedora 19 release schedule was ratified. Fedora 19 will not be officially released now until the end of June...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI5NTQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    57

    Default

    It irks me when people use seasons to donate a time of year on the Internet, because without specifying what hemisphere they're referring to, it's meaningless. Mid-year might be more appropriate in this case, otherwise using quarters or halves is also informative.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    486

    Default

    You are right to say that this is not a good way to give a timeframe. But since only 10% of the population live in the southern hemisphere, michael lives in the northern hemisphere and it's already summer in the southern hemisphere right now, I would say "summer in nothern hemisphere" is a good guess here ;-)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,119

    Default

    GNOMEs will be pissed to see widespread 3.8 adoption so late…

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    GNOMEs will be pissed to see widespread 3.8 adoption so late…
    Probably, though since 3.8 isn't due until the end of March anyway, it's no worse than Fedora 18's late delivery of 3.6.

    The bigger concern would be that with all the delays to F18, Fedora's six-month release cycle is 3 months out of phase with upstream Gnome. They can live with that for a release or two, but I suspect that if F19 sees delays pushing it further back, they might opt to just go straight to Gnome 3.10 to get themselves back in sync.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    285

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Probably, though since 3.8 isn't due until the end of March anyway, it's no worse than Fedora 18's late delivery of 3.6.

    The bigger concern would be that with all the delays to F18, Fedora's six-month release cycle is 3 months out of phase with upstream Gnome. They can live with that for a release or two, but I suspect that if F19 sees delays pushing it further back, they might opt to just go straight to Gnome 3.10 to get themselves back in sync.
    In ubuntu adding a PPA let's you try the latest version of Gnome Shell. Do you think something similar will become available between releases 19 and 20 of Fedora? What are the odds?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    GNOMEs will be pissed to see widespread 3.8 adoption so late…
    I don't see why. Even after 3.8 is released it'll take a few weeks for some of the extensions and such to catch up. Anyone who really just can't wait will probably already be running a beta.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucic View Post
    In ubuntu adding a PPA let's you try the latest version of Gnome Shell. Do you think something similar will become available between releases 19 and 20 of Fedora? What are the odds?
    I was going to ask the same question. Any thoughts?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •