No announcement yet.

Moving On From An X.Org World To Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope I can run my KDE desktop on KWin with Wayland support soon. With prop. NVIDIA driver of course. *dream*

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      I hope I can run my KDE desktop on KWin with Wayland support soon. With prop. NVIDIA driver of course. *dream*
      Amen. I personally never cared for open source GPU drivers - I do care for functional, stable and performant drivers though, with good documentation on how to use them, examples, as well as liberal licensing (e.g. royalty-free).

KDE on Wayland would be -sweet-!

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
        Amen. I personally never cared for open source GPU drivers - I do care for functional, stable and performant drivers though, with good documentation on how to use them, examples, as well as liberal licensing (e.g. royalty-free).

KDE on Wayland would be -sweet-!
        KDEs UI seams to be very efficient already compared to Gnome Shell on my old Laptop. It is very snappy despite all the eye candy. With Gnome it took about half a second everytime i clicked a tray icon until I got a rather jerky response. KDE deserves a good display sever.

Comment

Nice watch, can't wait till Wayland is more supported in the Linux world. I won't be able to use it till AMD or NVidia ports their drivers to it (or Intel suddenly starts making faster graphics chips), so I really hope those companies are looking into supporting it soon.

Comment

My understanding was that Wayland worked with the radeon and nouveau open source drivers today.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              My understanding was that Wayland worked with the radeon and nouveau open source drivers today.
              Judging by his comment about "faster GPU's" im thinking hes restricting himself to the closed source drivers.

Bridgman, I realize you probably can't say anything even if you did know, but Im gonna ask anyway just in case: any rumors spreading at AMD about FGLRX support for Wayland now that the protocol has been finalized and guaranteed stable?
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Video not playable in Firefox:

Please add this video to the video tag on the page:

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                  Nice watch, can't wait till Wayland is more supported in the Linux world. I won't be able to use it till AMD or NVidia ports their drivers to it (or Intel suddenly starts making faster graphics chips), so I really hope those companies are looking into supporting it soon.
                  It shouldn't be too much work for Nvidia and AMD to port their drivers to support wayland because all the functionality is already there. It's just a matter of changing apis and spliting code into components to support EGL, GLES, DRM and KMS. DRM and KMS modules might be problematic with the binary blobs, though , but they already do it for Android, as far as I know. The GPL remains a concern here, because DRM and KMS propietary modules could be seen as a derivative work of the Linux kernel, whereas the current binary blobs are not (linux support is a derivative work of propietary code not originaly written for Linux)
                  Last edited by newwen; 07 February 2013, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
                    Ok, I digged in a bit and found out that you can download the video using public-ftp (bypassing the faulty http-handling) with this URL, shouldn't even wget work for you:

ftp://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux....land_and_X.mp4
                    Probably more likely would be for X to become a virtual, and virtual/X to be satisfied by either x11-base/xorg-x11 or dev-libs/wayland. That would be less disruptive to the rest of the portage tree. Actually I doubt that the second option for the virtual would really be dev-libs/wayland - rather something else built on top of wayland. Right now "emerge -ptv weston" finds no package, nor anything truly similar, though "emerge wayland" does.

Comment

Daniel on the video said that the network solution they are testing is something similar to VNC right? Weren't they targeting something more advanced??

Comment

Working...
                      X