Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving On From An X.Org World To Wayland

Phoronix: Moving On From An X.Org World To Wayland

Taking place in Canberra, Australia last week was Linux.Conf.Au. The videos from LCA 2013 have now been uploaded and one of the talks likely to excite Phoronix readers is Daniel Stone's perspective of X.Org and Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would love to see this video, but it does not work, as the mirror refuses the connection. Am I the only one to experience this?

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
      I would love to see this video, but it does not work, as the mirror refuses the connection. Am I the only one to experience this?
      The video is not working for me as well.
      Perhaps the server is getting bombarded.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
        The video is not working for me as well.
        Perhaps the server is getting bombarded.
        As long as it is not Microsoft...

Comment

This is the direct link to the video:

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            This is the direct link to the video:

http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.con...land_and_X.mp4
            Thanks for the effort, but I know how to get the URL. It seems to be a server-issue.

Comment

I had to wget the video, couldn't access it through the browser.

Comment

Ok, I digged in a bit and found out that you can download the video using public-ftp (bypassing the faulty http-handling) with this URL, shouldn't even wget work for you:

ftp://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux....land_and_X.mp4

Comment

Finished watching it now, it was very interesting. I'm not sure if that's because it said exactly what I was looking for it to say though i.e. X sucks and we should replace it with Wayland asap. It's a very good video for the X apologist posts though, of which there's plenty of examples on in the Phoronix forums. Every time someone says Wayland isn't a replacement for X, and X isn't going anywhere anytime soon blah blah, this video is the perfect reply.

God, I can't wait to try a Gentoo install with Wayland and excluding X in my use flags.

Comment

Wonderful presentation!

What an awesome presentation! It pointed out everything that X suffers from. He sooo nailed it.

Thank you for the hard work!

Comment

Working...
                    X