Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedreno Gallium3D Shows Much Promise

Phoronix: Freedreno Gallium3D Shows Much Promise

In continuation of the article noting Freedreno Gallium3D might be merged soon, here's the video showing off the progress of this open-source Gallium3D graphics driver that was made to support the Qualcomm Adreno hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool but we're in 2013, and S4 chips are becomming widely used (I was one of the first users of HTC One S, and more devices popped up since). How well Freedreno could work with it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
      Cool but we're in 2013, and S4 chips are becomming widely used (I was one of the first users of HTC One S, and more devices popped up since). How well Freedreno could work with it ?
      ask me again after I get my nexus4 ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
        looks like a3xx in higher end S4's has at least a new shader ISA compared to a2xx. And a # of new registers (some related to new gles3 features like MRT). Not sure yet whether it makes sense to handle a3xx and a2xx in a single driver with two compilers, or split like r300 vs r600. But I could imagine that proper a3xx support would take some time.

ofc, some of the other S4's have a203 or a225 which should be closer to S3.

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
          looks like a3xx in higher end S4's has at least a new shader ISA compared to a2xx. And a # of new registers (some related to new gles3 features like MRT). Not sure yet whether it makes sense to handle a3xx and a2xx in a single driver with two compilers, or split like r300 vs r600. But I could imagine that proper a3xx support would take some time.

ofc, some of the other S4's have a203 or a225 which should be closer to S3.
          I've done some research after posting (was a little too quick to share my then-thought), and it seems that most S3 out come with Adreno 220, so, it seems you're right ! Looking at Adreno 300, it is found in the S4 Pro (quad core), and the evolution of the first S4 found in the HTC One S, the MPQ8064, aka S4 Prime (dual core). It remains a pretty cool alternative to the Tegra, though its 4th revision is a beast.

Adreno 300 series is also expected to be found in S5 chips (as mentioned on the Qualcomm website), but no details have surfaced yet for this next generation.

Comment

Working...
          X