Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE 4.10 Officially Released With Many Changes

Can't wait for KDE 4.10 to get out of the Testing repo in Arch LOL.

I'm used to this patient wait though, I'm pretty happy with my setup which I use for productivity and Steam gaming, so I usually just wait for KDE to be moved to the standard repos when it's released.

I'm assuming I may have to delete my .kde4 folder to reset stuff if the upgrade is significant enough? Anyone found any issues with that yet? I don't mind, gives me more reason to play around hehe.

Default Same old same old

Still got that terrible Oxygen theme. My god man! Pay somebody to design one!!!!!
    The SlicknesS author over at deviantArt, hire him. PCLinuxOS shipped it default for a while.

Sometimes I feel like the Lorax! But nobody listens.....

Another problem they never fix. Why do I have to right-click on the window itself to change the decoration?

The panel decoration is always a mystery to me until I stumble upon it.

Now Gnome is trying to copy KDE with their control pannel.

Where is my blending featurs I had in KDE 3.5? I could gradient blend the background image and do cool graphical stuff.

Akondi still fires up like a bad case of herpes. "Ding!" WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by asdx View Post
    How well is the file indexer working on 4.10? It has been rewritten, right?
    Long story short, it doesn't work at all https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=314559#c13

Quote Originally Posted by gedgon View Post
    Long story short, it doesn't work at all https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=314559#c13
    Well thats unfortunate >_> Though I guess people won't be complaining anymore about it taking forever to index or anything haha

It did work in the last rc. Someone did a unfortunate last comit...

Quote Originally Posted by gedgon View Post
    Not entirely right. The bug is clearly referring to level 2 indexing which is about analyzing the contents of files. The bug is a bug and needs to be fixed but in real life the bug hardly matters because in Nepomuk 2.0 almost no content analyzers (=Extractors) were ported from Nepomuk 1.x with its Strigi indexer (which is a regression on its own).
    Search by name works just fine, just as the other Feeders seem to work normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Not entirely right. The bug is clearly referring to level 2 indexing which is about analyzing the contents of files.
    No, bug is about indexer not indexing *at all* recursively, whether at level 1 or 2. First i thought it is only about lvl2, but after investigating found both phases are affected.

The bug is a bug and needs to be fixed but in real life the bug hardly matters because in Nepomuk 2.0 almost no content analyzers (=Extractors) were ported from Nepomuk 1.x with its Strigi indexer (which is a regression on its own).
    Search by name works just fine, just as the other Feeders seem to work normal.
    Almost none? PDF, ODF and svg analyzers are missing compared to Strigi, which didn't even work reliably back then.
    Last edited by sumski; 02-08-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sumski View Post
    No, bug is about indexer not indexing *at all* recursively, whether at level 1 or 2. First i thought it is only about lvl2, but after investigating found both phases are affected.
    Right, misunderstood a comment.

Quote Originally Posted by sumski View Post
    Almost none? PDF, ODF and svg analyzers are missing compared to Strigi, which didn't even work reliably back then.
    I can't remember which extractors Strigi had but Nepomuk2 has:
    Code:
    # ls /usr/share/kde4/services/nepomuk*extractor*
    /usr/share/kde4/services/nepomukexiv2extractor.desktop      /usr/share/kde4/services/nepomukpopplerextractor.desktop
    /usr/share/kde4/services/nepomukplaintextextractor.desktop  /usr/share/kde4/services/nepomuktaglibextractor.desktop

I can't remember which extractors Strigi had but Nepomuk2 has:
    Code:
    # ls /usr/share/kde4/services/nepomuk*extractor*
    /usr/share/kde4/services/nepomukexiv2extractor.desktop      /usr/share/kde4/services/nepomukpopplerextractor.desktop
    /usr/share/kde4/services/nepomukplaintextextractor.desktop  /usr/share/kde4/services/nepomuktaglibextractor.desktop
    With those the following mimetypes are supported:
    Code:
    ("image/jpeg")
    ("image/x-exv")
    ("image/x-canon-cr2")
    ("image/x-canon-crw")
    ("image/x-minolta-mrw")
    ("image/tiff")
    ("image/x-nikon-nef")
    ("image/x-pentax-pef")
    ("image/x-panasonic-rw2")
    ("image/x-samsung-srw")
    ("image/x-olympus-orf")
    ("image/png")
    ("image/pgf")
    ("image/x-fuji-raf")
    ("image/x-photoshop")
    ("image/jp2")
    ("application/pdf")
    ("audio/mpeg")
    ("audio/mpeg3")
    ("audio/flac")
    ("audio/ogg")
    ("audio/wav")
    ("audio/x-aiff")
    Aditionally, there is ffmpegextractor (which requires to be built against ffmpeg so not all distros have it), which supports:
    Code:
    ("video/x-ms-asf")
    ("video/x-msvideo")
    ("video/x-flv")
    ("video/quicktime")
    ("video/mpeg")
    ("video/x-ms-wmv")
    ("video/mp4")
    ("video/x-matroska")
    Yes, strigi had more, but was much slower and buggier, and also unmaintained. Ironically, it has seen a new release now when Nepomuk has dropped it

Losing index features and keeping the bugs. WELL DONE KDE

KDE should listen to the users.