The Video Acceleration State On Linux GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I don't think ignoring it is the right way to go. Instead if we all did our part to negate DRM as much as possible we would be better off.. Whether it be coding up solutions or bug testing someone elses solutions. I mean I personally would love to have my entire collection in HD.
    Do you mean finding ways to crack the protection?

Oh no, I would never do that if it were an option. Never.

Comment

It is how dvd support on linux came about and it will be how bd support on linux will come about... Except this time it is not going to be a simple 8 line patch that does it. It is going to take talent and those that have the talent need to do it.

Comment

I think you will find that I was being facetious. On the whole I agree with you, but until I can actually use a Bluray disc in a manner I deem appropriate I am not going to be using them. And it is hardly a necessity for me at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by elmariachi View Post
          and VAAPI in G45 hardware is pretty dead and incomplete...
          Same boat here, really annoying.

As far as bluray movies go, installing libaacs and downloading a KEYDB (put into ~/.config/aacs ) file is all needed to have pretty good playback. mplayer and xbmc play blurays just fine, and as a bonus, the annoying menus don't work! Pop in and play. (oh, and the bluray has to be mounted). It's basic, a bit hands on, but possible.

Serafean.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
            As far as bluray movies go, installing libaacs and downloading a KEYDB (put into ~/.config/aacs ) file is all needed to have pretty good playback. mplayer and xbmc play blurays just fine, and as a bonus, the annoying menus don't work! Pop in and play. (oh, and the bluray has to be mounted). It's basic, a bit hands on, but possible.
            I was under the impression that the new encoding scheme had not even been cracked yet for basic playback. Can you provide us with anymore information with how this was done?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              I was under the impression that the new encoding scheme had not even been cracked yet for basic playback. Can you provide us with anymore information with how this was done?
              It hasn't been cracked, and can't be cracked once and for all, unlike CSS.

But people have figured out how to extract keys from the discs, and if you get your hands on the crypto key, you can play the movie. One crypto key per movie, remember, so they have to keep cracking them and you need to keep getting them.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                It hasn't been cracked, and can't be cracked once and for all, unlike CSS.

But people have figured out how to extract keys from the discs, and if you get your hands on the crypto key, you can play the movie. One crypto key per movie, remember, so they have to keep cracking them and you need to keep getting them.
                Exaclty. However, I don't need to find the crypto key for each movie, I (somewhere) got my hands on a file with host certificates, and am using that. Until I stumble upon a disc with those revoked, I'm fine.

edit : Actually the "somewhere" turns out to be linked to on the archlinux wiki page about bluray, I forgot that part. I guess I'll need to find an up to date list
                Last edited by Serafean; 05 February 2013, 09:13 PM.

Comment

This method works with AACS protected bluray discs.
                  But what about BD+ protection, is that defeated too?

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
                    This method works with AACS protected bluray discs.
                    But what about BD+ protection, is that defeated too?
                    MakeMkv decrypts them, it seems? http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/9

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      Phoronix: The Video Acceleration State On Linux GPU Drivers

For those of you curious about the state of hardware-assisted video playback acceleration on the Linux graphics drivers, here's a brief overview...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI5Mzk
                      Michael, the article contains some omissions. VA-API features the following capabilities today:

* Decoding:
                      - JPEG
                      - MPEG-2
                      - MPEG-4:2
                      - H.264
                      - VC-1

* Encoding:
                      - MPEG-2
                      - MPEG-4:2
                      - H.264

* Video processing (WIP):
                      - Noise reduction
                      - Color balance (ProcAmp)
                      - Color conversion between various formats
                      - Advanced de-interlacing (temp/spatial) but no strong driver implementation yet

* Rendering:
                      - Raw DRM for transcoding pipelines without any display server or even monitor attached
                      - X11
                      - GLX (deprecated)
                      - EGL
                      - Wayland

As you mentioned, VA-API is constantly improving, so more capabilities are in the works.

Note: 10-bit per YUV component is not supported. i.e. no Hi10P.

Besides, VA-API is nothing without HW coverage (drivers) and SW coverage (applications). So far, I can count around 5 different types of hardware that could be supported by around 6 different drivers or shim layers. On the software side, most applications support VA-API nowadays too. i.e. HW and SW coverage indeed looks quite good.

Comment

Working...
                      X