Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Video Acceleration State On Linux GPU Drivers

Phoronix: The Video Acceleration State On Linux GPU Drivers

For those of you curious about the state of hardware-assisted video playback acceleration on the Linux graphics drivers, here's a brief overview...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Missing from the article is the "small detail" that VA-API is, of now, the only library to implement an API for video encoding too. So all the big lists in the article are all about video decoding only.

Comment

and VAAPI in G45 hardware is pretty dead and incomplete...

Comment

Why recommend an NVidia GPU for htpc? It's overkill when Intel's on die GPUs have more than enough power to decode any 1080p you're likely to throw at it. I'm using a Clarksdale Core i3 and it works great with xbmc.

Comment

Too much of my collection is blu ray to go Linux. I tried to have a Windows-based HTPC a couple of years ago, but blu ray was even fairly bad on that as it struggled with even simple tasks like fast-forward, rewind and pause -> resume. In the end I gave in and got a dedicated player. I love blu ray, but it's a godawful format for portability and open standards and keeps me from using PCs for HTPC use.

Comment

For my HTPC I am not going to bother with video acceleration and I am just going to use a fairly low-power and cool running Sempron CPU for handling everything. It plays 1080p just fine and it cuts down on most of the hassle of getting the thing setup.

I also know the feeling kaprikawn, but we just went the opposite - no good open standards, no bluray.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              I also know the feeling kaprikawn, but we just went the opposite - no good open standards, no bluray.
              Agree completely. I've got shelves filled with DVDs, but I am steering clear of Bluray... The format is just way too anti-consumer.

Comment

What other choice is there? BD is the only HD format being sold nowadays.

I don't think ignoring it is the right way to go. Instead if we all did our part to negate DRM as much as possible we would be better off.. Whether it be coding up solutions or bug testing someone elses solutions. I mean I personally would love to have my entire collection in HD.

Comment

Lol - second time, he has copied and pasted my stuff without even informing me :-)

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post
                    Lol - second time, he has copied and pasted my stuff without even informing me :-)
                    You should get royalties.

Comment

Working...
                    X