Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Looking At Office For Linux In 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    "When Microsoft writes an application for Linux, I've Won." - Linus Torvalds
    So he won already, because there is Skype.

Photoshop when?

Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    And no it won't be open sourced but only zealots care about that.
    Generalizations, is rarely a good thing.

How reliable can this rumor be ? There were no developper from Microsoft at Fosdem as far as I know. At best, if it is true, someone heard it from a friend working at Microsoft. More likely, someone working at Microsoft (but not in the MS Office team) said to a friend that with Valve pushing Linux, they might consider porting MS Office to it if it is a success. And by the time the rumor reached Michael's hears, they had a native port on the way... I don't trust that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AGui View Post
    How reliable can this rumor be ?
    Office for Android? Sure, why not?

Unless they are writing it from scratch with a whole new team... No. Ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    Unless they are writing it from scratch with a whole new team... No. Ain't happening.
    Why is it needed to write it from scratch? Did they do that for OSX?

Default Almost -

Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    So he won already, because there is Skype.
    I wouldn't count skype as it already existed for linux, and since microsoft bought skype they appear to have merely tolerated the existence the linux port, and have done nothing of interest with it. Google hangouts offer greater functionality than skype. Now, if ms were to offer a linux version of office, that would be a whole new level of support.

Default I like the idea

We have a number of people, myself included, who run Linux on their desktops (although not officially sanctioned by IT) since we develop for Linux. So we generally have to run a VM with Windows for Office, especially Outlook. That's a hassle I could live without.

Quote Originally Posted by rrohbeck View Post
    We have a number of people, myself included, who run Linux on their desktops (although not officially sanctioned by IT) since we develop for Linux. So we generally have to run a VM with Windows for Office, especially Outlook. That's a hassle I could live without.
    Same here. crossover office works OK, but it would be better to have native support.