No announcement yet.

Defining The Phoronix Test Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome. I've been using Hardinfo for benchmarking, but their benchmarks are a bit weird (author said they'll need to be re-designed - but maybe they could just include yours. Hardinfo also has a central server so you can compare your benchmarks to other setups anonymously).

Comment

I suggest you a crossplatform test. Not all the benchmark - better if they are -, but at least a part of it.

If the same test can be run over windows / Linux / MacOS / and others with a single number score, It would be better.

Then the driver development across the time and systems would be better, at least to watch.

For example a KDE4 test (it is cross-platform), and some similar as VLC tests for videos, Quake tests for games etc.

Opengl test would be a great tool to compare between drivers and systems.

We will find that, best sysmark - only windows - results may be not best with Linux or Mac OS.

And perhaps in a future some systems under Linux score high than under windows with driver improvements, especially for games.

I should put office tests with openoffice, browser tests with Firefox and opera, and of course on that tests Linux and MacOS should win windows, HD and RAM ones probably too. The lack are graphic drivers, and ATI and NVIDIA are working well now opening their drivers, but it is not enough.

I wish this benchmark become a world reference one for non directx benchmarks for every OS.
      I would like to see your scores at any other computer analitics web page, as anandtech, tom's hardware, extremetech, 4gamers and similars.
      To address this question of multi-platform compatibility, the Phoronix Test Suite software is compatible with Solaris and I'd anticipate it even working on the *BSDs.

However, the Phoronix Test Suite specification will be specifically designed and tested for Linux. Sure, you can apply the same testing practices to Windows or any other OS for that matter, but the chosen benchmarks and accompanying documentation will be all geared for Linux testing.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

OpenGl benchmakr

Hi Michael,

i got a new 8800gt this week and i needed some benchmark to compare it with my 7800gt. And i found a wonderfu OpenGl Benchmark (very gpu heavy, shader heavy).

Its called "Fur" from ozone3d and its freeware:

FurMark - GPU stress test and graphics card benchmark

Its made for windows, but it runs 100% and with 0%, and i really mean 0% performance loss in wine-0.9.55.

My windows score: 2339
        My wine score: 2344

I think this benchmark would be great for the testsuite.

What do you think ?

Best regards,
        Christian

Comment

Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
          Hi Michael,

i got a new 8800gt this week and i needed some benchmark to compare it with my 7800gt. And i found a wonderfu OpenGl Benchmark (very gpu heavy, shader heavy).

Its called "Fur" from ozone3d and its freeware:

FurMark - GPU stress test and graphics card benchmark

Its made for windows, but it runs 100% and with 0%, and i really mean 0% performance loss in wine-0.9.55.

My windows score: 2339
          My wine score: 2344

I think this benchmark would be great for the testsuite.

What do you think ?

Best regards,
          Christian
          Hi Christian,

Thanks for the link regarding Fur. However, at this point no WINE-dependent benchmarks will be included with the Phoronix Test Suite specification itself. It could be supported by the PTS software though. Right now with new WINE releases coming out every two weeks, it's quickly changing and really wouldn't present itself as a good candidate in everyday benchmarking until it settles down in the future.

Then relying upon a Windows test in a Linux test suite would also need to be thought about and debated.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

hm, perhaps sauerbraten2 is the way to go? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerbr...8video_game%29
            at least for graphic tests/benchmarks, this game seems to be a good choice, it uses actual techniques such as hdr-rendering etc.
            the licence is also gpl-compatible. don't know if they do have a benchmark or a timedemo built-in, but you could ask the devs. it is written using sdl, so it is platform independent. have a look at it

another idea is to use superpi. this benchmark is really popular all around the world^^. of course it is primary for cpus, but better than nothing. you could calculate the first 20mio decimals with it and measure the time..

Comment

Personally I don't consider superpi to be a meaningful benchmark. Yes, it gives something like a score, but what is calculated is very very special. Superpi is nothing one "works" or "games" with and its results cannot easily be used to judge how this CPU fares with any different workload.

Same goes for basically most low-level benchmarking tools (e.g. memory speed tests) - what matters more IMO is "real" application performance.

Comment

Might I suggest some developer help towards GL O.B.S. http://globs.sourceforge.net/about.php

It would be nice to be able to test individual OpenGL features more or less independently. Not only for user benchmarking but for driver development (see the Intel EXA talk from linux.conf.au? http://linux.conf.au/programme/detail?TalkID=167). Breaking down and benchmarking individual features is a great way to find trouble spots.

I know Phoronix knows of GL O.B.S. as v0.1 was used in an old X300 vs. Intel Q965 comparison. Of course, right now its highly alpha so it would need a great deal of work before inclusion.

Comment

licensing beats all!

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  GPLv3 likely (chance it could be MIT/X11 but most likely GPL)
                  Totally awesome! First i had thought the Test Suite will be released under a proprietary license, and I came to the forum to ask if this is right. And now I see GPLv3.

I'm totally knocked off!

Can't wait to see distros shipping up packages with Phoronix Testing Suite.

Comment

Why not add in benches of

Blender3D rendering, an alternative for the 3dsMax benches suites use (heck even use the project files from Elephants Dream)

GIMP running though a series of filters and scripts much like other bench suites use Photoshop

POVRay benches

MySQL(or postgresql) benchmarks

x264 encoding benches (perhaps utilizing various filters in an app like avidemux2)

These apps would be a far more accurate representation of performance then any lame RAMspeed or hdparm test.

As well they should be compiled in 32-bit and 64-bit with all applicable flags.

(Oh gee look at that, all free software and all crossplatform)

I would stay away from propriatary apps like Quakewars. Keep the suite free of non OSS. Use one of the many free fps's instead so everybody can use it and it can be included with linux distributions.
                    Last edited by deanjo; 13 February 2008, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Will this benchmark suite have a cumulative scoring system, similar to PCMark?

The ONLY THING out there for Linux similar to PCMark is Geekbench. Wahoo Geekbench is cross platform and covers a multitude of tests. Booooo it's proprietary and you have to pay to run 64-bit versions.

I am so disgusted with the lack of a PCMark-like benchmark on Linux... I'm seriously considering developing a cross platform PCMark-lite suite if the Phoronix suite doesn't do score indexing.

If it doesn't, would the Phoronix guys be interested in helping develop such a suite?

Comment

Working...
                      X