Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defining The Phoronix Test Suite

Default Defining The Phoronix Test Suite

Phoronix: Defining The Phoronix Test Suite

It's going on four years that we have been providing benchmarks under Linux at Phoronix, and through this time the process has evolved as more applications have come about that gauge Linux system performance and meet our criteria for use in hardware reviews. While our internal process is continually refined, we have received requests for creating a Linux benchmarking manifest so that interested parties are able to easily reproduce our tests for comparative purposes and know everything that's involved. With that said, we are now working to establish the Phoronix Test Suite that will consist both of detailed documentation defining our hardware benchmarking protocols and free software that automates much of this work.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11813

really, really great idea. i'm going to think about several components for such a benchmark, as soon as i've such results, i'm going to write them here

what licence will this be - gpl?

Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
    what licence will this be - gpl?

GPLv3 likely (chance it could be MIT/X11 but most likely GPL)

Way to go, this is a great idea. I'm sure this will go far to create a standard benchmarking tool for Linux.

Are there any free games in there? OpenArena, Cube2, Nexuiz (shameless plug)? What about e.g. oggenc?

oggenc is in there.

SavageX: Last I checked out the Nexuiz benchmarking capabilities, I wasn't too impressed to be honest. Have they improved as of late? Last time I looked into it was about a year ago. If you're able to shed anymore light on it I'd be more than willing to investigate it further.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    SavageX: Last I checked out the Nexuiz benchmarking capabilities, I wasn't too impressed to be honest. Have they improved as of late? Last time I looked into it was about a year ago. If you're able to shed anymore light on it I'd be more than willing to investigate it further.
    As basically all Quake-engine based games it has the nice timedemo command. Try e.g. "timedemo demos/demo1". I think it should even work directly at game startup: "./nexuiz-linux-whatever-binary +timedemo demos/demo1"

Or you can create a benchmark config file (e.g. "benchmark.cfg" in the Nexuiz "data" directory):

timedemo/demo1
    timedemo/demo1
    timedemo/demo1
    timedemo/demo2
    timedemo/demo2
    timedemo/demo2

and do a "./nexuiz-linux-bla-bla +exec benchmark.cfg" to automate testing.

Each run will print to console (ingame and to stdout) statistics like min/avg/max framerates.

We'll release a new version of Nexuiz hopefully later this month (see http://emptyset.endoftheinternet.org...nexuiz/builds/ for SVN builds) which will introduce (optional) rendering features like reflective water with refraction - this will make sure even fast cards are kept busy ;-)

(Plus we finally have a much nicer menu ;-) )

Where did you find RAMspeed? I can't locate it anywhere, google doesn't find it, nor is it in Debian's repos..

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Where did you find RAMspeed? I can't locate it anywhere, google doesn't find it, nor is it in Debian's repos..

http://www.alasir.com/software/ramspeed/