Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD Has Open-Source Driver For HD 8000 Series

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    @MrCooper

Are there plans to change that? Forcing everyone onto a compositor is no solution, and noticable tearing is simply unacceptable.
    Modern hardware expects a compositor or something similar to handle front buffer updates synced to the refresh rate so the methods we used on older asics aren't really an option with SI.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    Yes, it's called Wayland.
    You're not wrong >_>

Still, no one had commented what is the performance level of radeonsi vs fglrx...
    Last edited by Drago; 02-07-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    Modern hardware expects a compositor or something similar to handle front buffer updates synced to the refresh rate
    You mean glSwapBuffer?

Quote Originally Posted by archibald View Post
    They've brought up the r300g driver and r600g is doing well (OpenGL 3.1 going on 3.3), and radeonsi is getting very close. Power management would be very useful, but they're doing the best they can - how can we (the community) ask for more?
    What can I ask more? Well if I buy a graphic card I excpect it to work at best of its possibility. I can live with some minor problem/lack, but the radeon driver has major lack for my personal point of view. And flgrx is far from being a good solution either given the QA problems it have, to not talk about the stupid AMD legacy policy. I don't ask for 10 years support, but when the dropped <HD 5000 support they just lost a customer, given my GC was less then one year old, which is not legacy. Full stop. Don't want to add new feature? I can live with that, but I can't live without new Xorg and Kernel support.

Yes, it's called Wayland.
    Perhaps you missed "forcing everyone to a compositor is no solution". It's ok, it was only like half of my post

What's the problem with a compositor? Even with X11 the benchmarks for a good driver like the open source radeon driver generally show no drop in any performance...

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    Perhaps you missed "forcing everyone to a compositor is no solution". It's ok, it was only like half of my post
    That's what the console is for.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    What's the problem with a compositor? Even with X11 the benchmarks for a good driver like the open source radeon driver generally show no drop in any performance...
    It's an unnecessary layer, therefore always causing a lag of at least one frame compared to not using one.

Being a programmer I don't like unnecessary layers in general - being sensitive to latency I don't like unneeded delays.

To put it in another way: an unnecessary layer that has only downsides to me, I have no use for wobbly windows, shadows, or any other effect of the week.

That's what the console is for.
    Sorry, I'm not following you?

me: forcing people to a compositor is no solution
    you: here's a compositor
    me: you lack reading comprehension
    you: use the console

How the heck did step 4 follow from step 3?