AMD Has Open-Source Driver For HD 8000 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    I must be dreaming then - I game on R600g all the time. And run composted desktops on it. Have you ever actually used it for these purposes or are you just going on accusations or here-say? It may not have the most performant 3D, but it works and it is stable, even on RadeonSI it now appears.
    Then use RadeonSI to game before shooting your mouth off. That driver is complete crap for everything except drawing the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Dunno. I have to find time to fit a bigger power supply in my work system before I can plug in the Tahiti board. On a positive note I have system, power supply, screwdriver, bandages and Tahiti board all ready to go.

I believe we are selling high-end APUs and high-end laptop chips into the 3D workstation market as well. One of the interesting things that came out of the move to unified shaders is that midrange GPUs can crunch typical workstation loads very quickly with the right driver optimizations.
      By the way Bridgman, there something I need to ask you. Surely you must have heard by now about the unconfirmed news that Ubuntu might just decide to roll their own special display server instead of sticking with X or hopping on to Wayland (which is nuts considering how THEY were the ones who started everybody on the slow migration to Wayland to begin with, but that is a rant for another time...)

The point is, if Ubuntu really does go ahead with their own in-house display server, what will this mean for the AMD drivers? Obviously AMD is not going to produce fglrx for Wayland and Ubuntu's display server as of now when X is still the only DP suitable for use at this point of time, but what will happen to the open source drivers? Will it have to be adapted (along with Mesa and Gallium3D) to fit both Wayand and Ubuntu's DP or will they run as-is on both display servers without any need for repurposing?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        but what will happen to the open source drivers? Will it have to be adapted (along with Mesa and Gallium3D) to fit both Wayand and Ubuntu's DP or will they run as-is on both display servers without any need for repurposing?
        Typically new display servers would be designed to work with the open source drivers as they are today. The developers may or may not try to support the binary drivers at the same time.
        Last edited by bridgman; 07 February 2013, 12:57 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

Then use RadeonSI to game before shooting your mouth off. That driver is complete crap for everything except drawing the desktop.
          I would hardly state that I was shooting my mouth off - especially since anything that was not based on first hand experience I qualified as such, but based on the comments made by agd5f what I said does seem to hold true in general. Maybe you should try and see why he is having such a different experience than you rather than complaining about my post, which barely touched on the subject anyway.

Comment

Which specific games did you find it to be 'complete crap' for? Did you file bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Does 2d on glamor still tear?
              Yes. BTW, EXA also tears without Option "EXAVsync", but it's less annoying there because the tearing is only horizontal, not also diagonal. The best chance for a tear-free desktop would be using an OpenGL compositor, though unfortunately the current ones tend to use glXCopySubBufferMESA instead of always rendering full frames, which is still prone to tearing.

Comment

@MrCooper

Are there plans to change that? Forcing everyone onto a compositor is no solution, and noticable tearing is simply unacceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                  Is "3D workstation" only the firegl "professional" graphics cards? Can a notebook with enduro be a workstation too?
                  I believe we are selling high-end APUs and high-end laptop chips into the 3D workstation market as well. One of the interesting things that came out of the move to unified shaders is that midrange GPUs can crunch typical workstation loads very quickly with the right driver optimizations.
                  The thing is that the enduro thing does not work correctly and I'm not sure if it even should because I did not find any documentation that would tell me at least the version requirements of a supported xf86-video-intel.

This is how it is marketed:

AMD Enduro? technology seamlessly/automatically selects (No manual switching) the best graphics processor for a given application.
                  On linux with fglrx/catalyst this functionality does not only not exist, you also have to restart X every time you want to switch and closing all gui programs in the process.

But at least it's usable at all, right? Well, only if you use a single screen. I would believe that people doing serious work? would often use multiple monitors and if it is only to give a presentation with a projector.

I'm sorry to throw this useless rant at you, I just wanted to say: If I was in a position to choose a notebook with a highend gpu, maybe even only for opencl, I would not see me wanting to buy something like that.

Comment

@MrCooper

Are there plans to change that? Forcing everyone onto a compositor is no solution, and noticable tearing is simply unacceptable.
                    Yes, it's called Wayland.

Comment

@MrCooper

Modern hardware expects a compositor or something similar to handle front buffer updates synced to the refresh rate so the methods we used on older asics aren't really an option with SI.

Comment

Working...
                      X