Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME To Use JavaScript For New User Programs

Quote Originally Posted by j2723 View Post
    Javascript? Why exactly Javascript?
    In my opinion it's a horrid language...

Why not Python instead ?

By chance, do they mean HTML+Javascript with "GNOME appliations", or actually Javascript as a stand-alone "program"?

Related:
    wat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXEgk1Hdze0
    this is one gnome dev's take on "why not python"

http://www.j5live.com/2013/02/04/gnome-and-languages/

I want nothing to do with Javascript. Why not just use Qt? That's my favourite GUI framework; the most fully featured; cross-compile compatible; easy to learn and program; looks perfect in any desktop environment. After all, actual C++ code is more efficient than any scripting code.

Quote Originally Posted by mmstick View Post
    I want nothing to do with Javascript. Why not just use Qt?
    Trolling much?

After all, actual C++ code is more efficient than any scripting code.
    In this case I think the speedup gained from writing everything in C++ (or C, which is more common with GNOME) is more or less negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by kigurai View Post
    In this case I think the speedup gained from writing everything in C++ (or C, which is more common with GNOME) is more or less negligible.
    i don't think so. we are not talking of extensions but of full featured standalone programs.

Personally I hate Javascript. But now a days many new programmers are coming from web programming. Even in my country which is a 3rd world country, no of school students know web programming is increasing a lot. I know some people who only learns PHP + HTML + JS + CSS ,without any formal Computer Science/Engineering courses and now earning more then undergraduate engineers. JS(Olso QT's QML) will attract them to target desktop apps.

Quote Originally Posted by cardboard View Post
    KDE is heading in this direction too. How does it compare with QML?
    Eh? No they're not, they're very much in the Qt/QML camp, have been for ages. Personally think it's unfortunate that GNOME decided to go this way just because of past (ideological) differences.
    They Would've been a great new member to the Qt/QML biosphere/code-base, one that would've become a highly respect contributor, & helped to propel the Qt platform faster & more forcefully.

Quote Originally Posted by kigurai View Post
    Trolling much?
    Why do you think so? Don't you think gnome devs ego is an only thing that stops them from using Qt? I wonder how bloated and slow gnome will be with javascript.

The only reason for this must be that ~everyone can code in JS. But the truth is that if it has Java in the name, please skip it or you are asking for trouble down the road!

Quote Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
    They ld've been a great new member to the Qt/QML biosphere/code-base, one that would've become a highly respect contributor, & helped to propel the Qt platform faster & more forcefully.
    Qt needs fixing then. Remove the CLA, remove the open core business, remove the primary focus on non-linux platforms. GNOME has a million reasons to stay away not just because the freedom is totally flawed at Qt. Being Digias bitch is not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by varikonniemi View Post
    But the truth is that if it has Java in the name, please skip it or you are asking for trouble down the road!
    I dont think that's necessarily true, people often confuse js with java, they're completely different things, the latter is what has had a infamous name in the past.