Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Romney Drops Out Of '08 Race

  1. #1

    Default Romney Drops Out Of '08 Race

    WASHINGTON -- Mitt Romney was suspending his year-old quest for Republicans' presidential nomination, after a poor showing in "Super Tuesday's" state contests that captured his failure to win over the social conservatives so influential in his party.

    The former Massachusetts governor decided Wednesday to announce his plans at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference, a gathering of the Right's top activists and politicians. "I must now stand aside, for our party and our country,'' he planned to say, according to excerpts of his speech.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1202..._whats_news_us

    It's a sad day, but a smart move for the GOP and something to look forward to in 2012 now.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1202..._whats_news_us

    It's a sad day, but a smart move for the GOP and something to look forward to in 2012 now.
    Thank god he dropped out.I know some minuscule portion of our population likes him for some unknown reason, but for the vast majority of this country we are better off without him.

    Maybe that is a bit mean, but in the mean time we dont have to worry about his healthcare plan ruining our economy. We dont have to worry about his foreign policies igniting unwanted wars. We dont have to worry about his energy plan driving the price of gas to $10 dollars a gallon.

    He's smarmy and ignorant. He has no clue how us average americans live our lives. He's clueless. He is the worst kind of ignorant.

    On the other hand the alternative is McCain, and he is wwaaaaaaayy to liberal. It seems that we are stuck with a liberal democrat, or a liberal republican. I'm not very happy about the situation we find ourselves in. In any case we find ourselves in we are faced with higher taxes, a weaker military, higher minimum wage, higher cost of living, and even worse more government run social programs. I hope that McCain gets his head out of his ass, and keeps the democrats under check as well as Bush has.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Hmm.. the reality is that democrats have all the momentum in this election. The United States has not seen such a strong turnout in primary ever before, and the democrat nominees have a much higher turnout than any republican could hope for. And the main reason for this is the republican party, it's conservative base, and the person they chose as President. Clinton and Obama could not have asked for a better stroke of luck. And someone please tell me what is so liberal about McCain... I really have no clue what anyone could see in him as being too liberal. Maybe there are some diehard conservatives here who could shed some light on this subject for a head-in-the-clouds liberal who will be doing everything he can to make sure Obama wins the Presidency this year.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuapurcell View Post
    Hmm.. the reality is that democrats have all the momentum in this election. The United States has not seen such a strong turnout in primary ever before, and the democrat nominees have a much higher turnout than any republican could hope for. And the main reason for this is the republican party, it's conservative base, and the person they chose as President. Clinton and Obama could not have asked for a better stroke of luck. And someone please tell me what is so liberal about McCain... I really have no clue what anyone could see in him as being too liberal. Maybe there are some diehard conservatives here who could shed some light on this subject for a head-in-the-clouds liberal who will be doing everything he can to make sure Obama wins the Presidency this year.
    I consider myself a conservative. First let me say That I like Obama. He seems like a good guy, but he is waaaay too liberal. I'm sure he has the best intentions at heart, but his spending policies are outrageous. His health care plan would make the insurance companies invincible. They already have too much money and power. Instead of making health care a government run organization, they should create a new commission with a regulatory charter covering the insurance industry. Our health care system is the best in the world it doesn't need to be changed, but our insurance industry --must-- have oversight. It is waaaay too powerful, and the government must regulate it.

    Health care in this country isn't the problem. Insurance companies in this country are.

    Also the Income tax --must-- be abolished. I'm not saying that the IRS should be dismantled, I'm just saying that they shouldn't collect an income tax. That money will still make it back to government hands through corporate taxes, or sales taxes, or by some other means. With how many times a dollar gets taxed throughout its circulation, an income tax is absolutely not required, and all it does is drain the economy of otherwise perfectly good money.

    Additionally our Military must be strengthened. It is our governments duty to do whatever it takes to recruit new soldiers in all branches of the military especially the national guard, and the marines. Strengthening the military includes collaberation between several charters including the CIA, and the homeland security. In several cases a merger between charters may well be the best solution. It is my opinion that our government has too many charters. We have at least 4 charters that are specifically geared towards intelligence gathering. At least three that are specifically geared towards criminal or military investigations. Additionally several charters are wwwaaaaaayyyy too outdated and needs to be rewritten to accommodate modern times. Take the FCC as the perfect example of a charter that is outdated and totally ineffective.

    In short the executive branch of this government is too damn fat, and needs to be strengthened where it is too weak, and trimmed where there is too much redundancy, and redesigned where it is ineffective, or incomplete.

    These are all conservative idea's. John McCain doesn't see things this way. And it's unfortunate because it seems that he will be the next president of the US. If he can at least keep the dems under control as well as Bush did, then we will be alright, but if he cant, then we'll be even further behind and more fucked up then we are now.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duby229 View Post
    Also the Income tax --must-- be abolished. I'm not saying that the IRS should be dismantled, I'm just saying that they shouldn't collect an income tax. That money will still make it back to government hands through corporate taxes, or sales taxes, or by some other means. With how many times a dollar gets taxed throughout its circulation, an income tax is absolutely not required, and all it does is drain the economy of otherwise perfectly good money.
    Hell yes to that one!

    Quote Originally Posted by joshuapurcell View Post
    I really have no clue what anyone could see in him as being too liberal.
    McCain is also pretty bad on his illegal immigration perspective.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    McCain is also pretty bad on his illegal immigration perspective.
    Some people have no idea how far it goes. One of McCain's senior campaign staffers, Juan Hernandez, is a big mexico-first guy.

    So if Bill Clinton was our first black president, John McCain has the potential to be our first mexican president.

    I myself will be voting democrat this time around, hopefully it'll be Obama.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Hehe nice to see American point of view on the election, as European I laugh when I read obama is too liberal.
    As in Europe liberal means, let the business go whereever he wants. (who said in china). No matter if it raises the number of local unemployed people.
    In Europe being a liberal means to reduce income taxes, and global nice high income policies.

    Difficulties with no income tax, is that it forces government to rise sales taxes, and make poorer to pay more. Poorer usually don't pay income taxes (at least in Europe). At least it's the traditional European point of view, I don't know how this sounds to you, .. liberal?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    McCain is also pretty bad on his illegal immigration perspective.
    I remember of the Californian disaster, when they couldn't find any illegals to work on harvest of orange.
    I guess there is a trade-off, as a part of the revenue in agriculture are conditioned by the usage of these cheap workers.
    And so the price on the market of these products ? no ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Anyway, if you just could avoid a second bush, three fourth of humanity would thank you.
    Even if I know that Europe likes to see the USA go first in war, they feel like they have clean hands, but they applaud when nobody is looking.
    Last edited by lucky_; 02-09-2008 at 10:00 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucky_ View Post
    Hehe nice to see American point of view on the election, as European I laugh when I read obama is too liberal.
    As in Europe liberal means, let the business go whereever he wants. (who said in china). No matter if it raises the number of local unemployed people.
    In Europe being a liberal means to reduce income taxes, and global nice high income policies.

    Difficulties with no income tax, is that it forces government to rise sales taxes, and make poorer to pay more. Poorer usually don't pay income taxes (at least in Europe). At least it's the traditional European point of view, I don't know how this sounds to you, .. liberal?
    Here in America we have basically have two political parties. The Democrats, and the Republicans. Republicans are elephants, and Democrats are jackasses. Republicans are conservative, and Democrats are liberal. I find that to be terribly fitting.

    We republicans firmly believe in the basic idea of "waste not want not." We believe that every man should earn his own way. Free markets work. We beat the Soviets because our free market allowed us to take a technological lead that they couldn't beat. Every man for himself first and foremost. I work 12 hours a day, six days a week, and I make an OK living. I'm not rich by American standards, but I can pay my bills most of the time. I'm proud of the way I live, and wouldn't change it for anything in the world.

    Democrats on the other hand are Liberal. This means exactly what it says... Liberal means more.... More taxes, more government power. More more more more... They want everything handed to them on a golden platter and expect somebody else to pay for it.... A perfect example is the health care debate that is going on in the American Senate. They want free healthcare handed to them on a golden platter... Except that it wont be free. The people who will be getting free healthcare are those people who don't work, the unemployed, the poor, the people who don't pay taxes. So who's paying for it? Not them... me. I am. And it pisses me right off.

    Liberal means more for nothing. Unfortunately things don't work that way, and the liberals in this country have damn near brought it to its knees., and now they are talking about breaking its back. Socialization is what killed the Romans,the Greeks, the Italians, the Soviets and every other major failed society in the history of mankind. Socialization does not work, as proven by history time and time again. Free markets do.
    Last edited by duby229; 02-12-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •