Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat's Virtual Machine Manager Finally Hits v1.0

Default Red Hat's Virtual Machine Manager Finally Hits v1.0

Phoronix: Red Hat's Virtual Machine Manager Finally Hits v1.0

The virt-manager software for Linux virtual machine management that was initially developed by Red Hat, but is found widely throughout the Linux ecosystem on nearly every major Linux distribution, has finally reached version 1.0...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYwNDk

Never used it. If this works with qemu without KVM I might give it a try. The qemy-system-i386 options are a hell to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexilion View Post
    Never used it. If this works with qemu without KVM I might give it a try. The qemy-system-i386 options are a hell to work with.
    it does, it supports all major virtualization solutions. just currious, why would anyone want qemu without kvm? xen works much better than qemu in case you don't have Vt

Never even knew it didn't have its 1.0 release yet. Thinking back, it was very stable whenever I used it and I rarely encountered bugs.

it's a f***ing disgrace that KVM and virtmanager are so cumbersome to set up that a vast majority of Linux users use Virtualbox. My mom could set up Hyper-V on Windows 8, it's just a matter of installation of the feature and clicking through the wizard.
    And I'm not talking about noob users here. I've seen veteran sysadmins, people who actually did try KVM, use Virtualbox because the former's GUI management tools are so lacking.

POV I suppose. Personally I absolutely hate the Virtualbox and VMWare GUIs, they keep getting in my way and slowing me down. No, I don't want to create a VM, I want to boot this iso, now, not after 10 clicks. Without leaving extra files laying around to clean up later.

Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    it's a f***ing disgrace that KVM and virtmanager are so cumbersome to set up that a vast majority of Linux users use Virtualbox. My mom could set up Hyper-V on Windows 8, it's just a matter of installation of the feature and clicking through the wizard.
    Have a look at https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Apps/Boxes ... gives you pretty much the same easy experience.

And I'm not talking about noob users here. I've seen veteran sysadmins, people who actually did try KVM, use Virtualbox because the former's GUI management tools are so lacking.
    Then those sysadmins are fools. Setting up KVM is literally a single meta-package on most distros. At most, you install libvirt and a few qemu-kvm packages. Virt-manager is also a single package, if you want it. I've never heard anyone say that KVM was difficult to install, so i'm curious what the trouble was.

it's a f***ing disgrace that KVM and virtmanager are so cumbersome to set up that a vast majority of Linux users use Virtualbox.
    I’m generaly happy with VirtualBox (to run different/old Linux distros usualy); is there a reason to prefer KVM? I’ve just browsed the KVM web site but there’s no comparison with VBox there that I could find.

For me it's the other way around, kvm is so easy to install, virt-manager is a breeze to work with compared to the other products gui's and supports remote ssh connections, that i cba to go to all that trouble (dkms, heavily capped downloads) to install the others any more.

virt-manager may be missing some features, but not really essential ones imho. If anything the thing i miss most is simple grouping. And ever since zfs i don't really care about snapshoting the vm itselfs anyway so didn't miss that feature either.

But management is surely lacking from other os'es as virt-manager is linux only as far as i know and there are no good and simple webui's yet, stuff like ovirt feels more like a distro and is was to intrusive for my taste. But i must say i haven't checked for a good webui for some time.