Solaris 12 Might Finally Bring Radeon KMS Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
    No; it is clear that a single person is creating multiple accounts for deliberately sabbotaging the forums. If you can't deal with it then you are not moderating. This 'systemd rulez' idiot is OBVIOUSLY the same loser behind the 'LINUX ANALS SOLARIS' and the like accounts. Ignoring is not enough because people keep answering whatever trollness that idiot craps. Discussions are being degenerated to nonsense.
    He is only posting his opinions like anyone else. He can't sabotage forums this way. People don't have to answer.

Comment

Moderators, please! you have to stop this poor loser (probably kraftman) once and for all!
      If you don't like freedom of speech, go to Daemonforums or other BSD forums. There they only allow pro BSD statments (not even questions) to be posted.

Also, I'm not kraftman. Why not I show proof first before shitting from mouth oh wait yes, BSD zealots don't show proofs, they just talk shit that they've been brainwashed with by their holy gods M$ and Apple.

I'm getting tired of the same annoying and meaningless crap, and then people wasting their time replying to him (sorry for doing exactly that).
      Of course, the poor little BSD luser here can't stand truth facts about his pathetic little OS. He can't stand free speech, he wishes phoronix forums could be as restricted as FoolBSD forums and North Korea. boohoo.....

PLEASE, DO SOMETHING!
      Translation:
      WAAAAHH!!!!! WAAAAAHHHH!!!!!! WAH!!!! WAH!!!! WAAAAAHH!!!!!!!

Seriously, grow up
      Last edited by systemd rulez; 03 February 2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

No; it is clear that a single person is creating multiple accounts for deliberately sabbotaging the forums. If you can't deal with it then you are not moderating. This 'systemd rulez' idiot is OBVIOUSLY the same loser behind the 'LINUX ANALS SOLARIS' and the like accounts. Ignoring is not enough because people keep answering whatever trollness that idiot craps. Discussions are being degenerated to nonsense.
        Perhapes BSD supporters should get lost as they don't like people talking about the weaknesses of their OS. They obviously love censorship as they do it alot in their forums. See: http://antibsd.wordpress.com/2012/12/11/hello-world/
        I also found that the community was extremely nasty to new comes and they are much more also with GNU/Linux and GNU/Linux users. In fact, their number one enemy is GNU, Linux and FSF while they treat the evil Microsoft and Apple as friends against Linux.
        And BTW, I don't even know who 'LINUX ANALS SOLARIS' is.

I bet BSD supports/devs/users support North Korea, Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia

Comment

Originally posted by systemd rulez View Post
          If you don't like freedom of speech, go to Daemonforums or other BSD forums. There they only allow pro BSD statments (not even questions) to be posted.

Also, I'm not kraftman. Why not I show proof first before shitting from mouth oh wait yes, BSD zealots don't show proofs, they just talk shit that they've been brainwashed with by their holy gods M$ and Apple.

Of course, the poor little BSD luser here can't stand truth facts about his pathetic little OS. He can't stand free speech, he wishes phoronix forums could be as restricted as FoolBSD forums and North Korea. boohoo.....

Translation:
          WAAAAHH!!!!! WAAAAAHHHH!!!!!! WAH!!!! WAH!!!! WAAAAAHH!!!!!!!

Seriously, grow up
          You're so fucked up...
          BTW, I'm a mathematician; I know better than you what a proof is. Loser.

Comment

You're so fucked up...
            Oww look at this, the little BSD zealot has lost the argument and is now crying and throwing insults and trolling. boohoo....... WAAAHH!!!!!

BTW, I'm a mathematician; I know better than you what a proof is. Loser.
            I'm a Programmer: Assembly, C, C++ and Lisp (Awsome with GNU EMACS).

So ur a mathematican, one of the most useless jobs anyone can have. You just cock up fancy mathematical formulations that have absolutely applications to the real world. Even Physics is more applicable then your crap and even they should just scrap it from universities as engineering and IT is the one that's useful.

Comment

I bet BSD supports/devs/users support North Korea, Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia

Comment

Oww look at this, the little BSD zealot has lost the argument and is now crying and throwing insults and trolling. boohoo....... WAAAHH!!!!!

I'm a Programmer: Assembly, C, C++ and Lisp (Awsome with GNU EMACS).
                I'm also a programmer... Assembly and C; coded an emulator and my own hobby OS.
                So ur a mathematican, one of the most useless jobs anyone can have.
                Mathematician is not a job, idiot.
                You just cock up fancy mathematical formulations that have absolutely applications to the real world. Even Physics is more applicable then your crap and even they should just scrap it from universities as engineering and IT is the one that's useful.
                It has been some time since the last time I saw such an ignorant opinion about mathematics. Thanks for the memories and the laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by axero View Post
                  I think that ZFS is still considerably more mature on Solaris/Illumos than on Linux and BSD and that is not about to change anytime soon. Moreover, I'm not sure if Linux is as advanced with tools such as dtrace, truss, crossbow etc.

If not for 3D, one good reason to use KMS is to make the GPUs run well with the system, particularly newer generation GPUs. Some GPUs need to be initialized by a KMS driver in order to activate their power management profile. When running such GPUs with standard VESA drivers, e.g. the cooling fan will run continuously at max speed.

But I guess that is less relevant when running a headless setup as might be desired for file servers and virtualized environments unless we want to take advantage of features such as OpenCL or CUDA.
                  There will always be differences, but ZFS support in Linux (particularly Gentoo Linux) is at parity with Illumos in many areas. The OS-independent ZFS code is basically the same at this point. The same is true for FreeBSD-CURRENT. There are many people happily using ZFS on each platform.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
                    There will always be differences, but ZFS support in Linux (particularly Gentoo Linux) is at parity with Illumos in many areas. The OS-independent ZFS code is basically the same at this point. The same is true for FreeBSD-CURRENT. There are many people happily using ZFS on each platform.
                    ZFS support is not quite on a parity ... although the code base is pretty much the same.

ZFS pools can be created on Solaris "slices" (sub-partitions as it were) in Solaris/Illumos, and ZFS on Solaris/Illumos is used for the root pools by default, making it core to the OS.

However, the USB support in Linux is by far and away better than the USB support in Solaris/Illumos (at present) meaning that ZFS on USB is significantly more stable on a Linux box ... the Illumos guys are looking to rip out the USB code (based on a streams interface) and replace it with something a whole lot more Linuxy (either from BSD, or written from scratch)

PS. look out for LZ4 compression coming to ZFS on Linux soon, when they get the updated code base ... LZ4 is so fast that it is worth while turning on because it takes less time to read in from the disk and uncompress in memory than it does to read the slightly bigger file from disk!

Comment

The funny thing is that this "systemd rulez" guy that bashes Solaris, does not know that Linux Systemd is a clone of Solaris SMF. The creator of systemd always makes heavy references to SMF.

It is like BTRFS is a clone of Solaris ZFS, Open vSwitch is a clone of Solaris Crossbow, systemtap is a clone of Solaris DTrace, Linux also has a clone of Solaris Zone, etc. Soon the Linux camp have copied entire Solaris. But still, the Linux code is not so good in comparison, according to Linux kernel hacker Con Kolivas:
                      I've been asked in past interviews what I've thought about schedulers from other operating system kernels that I may have studied, and if I ...

"...I started to feel a little embarrassed by what we have as our own kernel. The more I looked at the [Solaris] code, the more it felt like it pretty much did everything the Linux kernel has been trying to do for ages. Not only that, but it's built like an aircraft, whereas ours looks like a garage job with duct tape by comparison..."

Comment

Working...
                      X