Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solaris 12 Might Finally Bring Radeon KMS Driver

Phoronix: Solaris 12 Might Finally Bring Radeon KMS Driver

It looks like Oracle may be preparing to release their own AMD Radeon kernel mode-setting (KMS) driver for introducing into Oracle Solaris 12...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I told Matthieu was
    Our development branch for the next big release (i.e. what should become Solaris 12) is visible in our public hg repos on opensolaris.org, so you can see we've moved to Xorg 1.13 series and associated driver updates, and we're starting to look at Xorg 1.14, but have been waiting for the release candidates to begin before really working on it.
    I never said that was the final version we'd be looking at for Solaris 12, just that we're continuing to track upstream releases, so any assumptions you've made about release dates are unfounded (and no, I can't tell you what the real schedule is, sorry).

Comment

Lost confidence

Solaris used to be cool and interesting.
      But ever since Oracle bought it, I've lost all my interest in it.

Oracle managed to mismanage everything.
      OpenOffice.org, MySQL, Java, Solaris, everything!

So now I rather go with LibreOffice, MariaDB, C#/.NET and Linux instead.

I only wish Linux got that functionality to run X.org Server had that funcionality to run without root privileges.

Comment

Why bother with bringing KMS to something as meaningless and shitty as (Slow)laris when it's a lot more meaningful to help improve KMS on Linux. After all, crappy OS makers like BSD and Solaris will claim that their OS is for server just to explain their tiny usage share (even though it does not make sense). So they don't need modern graphics, that effort should go to Linux. it's for desktops, servers and everything else.

Oracle should actually stop solaris, sue Openindianan and Openillinois to make them stop and then concentrate on Oracle Linux.
        Last edited by systemd rulez; 02 February 2013, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Solaris used to be cool and interesting.
          But ever since Oracle bought it, I've lost all my interest in it.

Oracle managed to mismanage everything.
          OpenOffice.org, MySQL, Java, Solaris, everything!

So now I rather go with LibreOffice, MariaDB, C#/.NET and Linux instead.

I only wish Linux got that functionality to run X.org Server had that funcionality to run without root privileges.
          C#/.NET and Linux? Mono isn't quite the same thing as .NET

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
            C#/.NET and Linux? Mono isn't quite the same thing as .NET
            Well on Linux, I often do Python.
            But Python and Java are very different.
            On Windows, I use C#.

C# and .NET is nicer than Java.

Comment

Originally posted by systemd rulez View Post
              Why bother with bringing KMS to something as meaningless and shitty as (Slow)laris when it's a lot more meaningful to help improve KMS on Linux....
              I think that ZFS is still considerably more mature on Solaris/Illumos than on Linux and BSD and that is not about to change anytime soon. Moreover, I'm not sure if Linux is as advanced with tools such as dtrace, truss, crossbow etc.

If not for 3D, one good reason to use KMS is to make the GPUs run well with the system, particularly newer generation GPUs. Some GPUs need to be initialized by a KMS driver in order to activate their power management profile. When running such GPUs with standard VESA drivers, e.g. the cooling fan will run continuously at max speed.

But I guess that is less relevant when running a headless setup as might be desired for file servers and virtualized environments unless we want to take advantage of features such as OpenCL or CUDA.

Comment

Originally posted by systemd rulez View Post
                Why bother with bringing KMS to something as meaningless and shitty as (Slow)laris when it's a lot more meaningful to help improve KMS on Linux. After all, crappy OS makers like BSD and Solaris will claim that their OS is for server just to explain their tiny usage share (even though it does not make sense). So they don't need modern graphics, that effort should go to Linux. it's for desktops, servers and everything else.

Oracle should actually stop solaris, sue Openindianan and Openillinois to make them stop and then concentrate on Oracle Linux.
                Moderators, please! you have to stop this poor loser (probably kraftman) once and for all! I'm getting tired of the same annoying and meaningless crap, and then people wasting their time replying to him (sorry for doing exactly that).
                PLEASE, DO SOMETHING!

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
                  Moderators, please! you have to stop this poor loser (probably kraftman) once and for all! I'm getting tired of the same annoying and meaningless crap, and then people wasting their time replying to him (sorry for doing exactly that).
                  PLEASE, DO SOMETHING!
                  People have right for different opinion. You can add him to ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                    People have right for different opinion. You can add him to ignore list.
                    No; it is clear that a single person is creating multiple accounts for deliberately sabbotaging the forums. If you can't deal with it then you are not moderating. This 'systemd rulez' idiot is OBVIOUSLY the same loser behind the 'LINUX ANALS SOLARIS' and the like accounts. Ignoring is not enough because people keep answering whatever trollness that idiot craps. Discussions are being degenerated to nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                    X