No announcement yet.

Nepomuk Sees Major Improvements In KDE 4.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have on occasion had issue with performance and semantik. If you have problems it really hurts, I currently don't have any problems.
    I am waiting till these features become really useful but it isn't getting in my way in 4.10.

I also find [alt] + [f2] a bit award so I remap it to [win] + [space]. I have yakuake mapped to [win] + [~]...

Comment

Yea, I have started to not disable Nepomuk and Akonadi since around 4.8. They are no longer hogs like people say they are. And even though I don't use most of the functionality, it's still very nice to have a fully featured calendar and quick access searches in Dolphin. So for those who hate it, it's most likely the KDE 4.0/PulseAudio issue where something didn't work so well on initial release, but has been fixed long since, and people just don't want to try it out again for no good reason.

Comment

AFAIK, the guy who apparently made most of the recent improvements does recognize Nepomuk & in particular the file indexer are far too slow (cf http://vhanda.in/blog/2013/01/what-n...-nepomuk-4-10/ and comments). The good news is the improvements in 4.10 are gonna be MASSIVE.

I personally always disabled it in KDE 4.x, which is quite sad as this project had much potential. I didn't have much us for it personally (I prefer my tags to be embedded in my files, for instance, and I don't use KMail).

But I would be happy if it were to be working properly. As it used to be advertised as a KDE 4 killer feature (which definitely "killed" it in some way ;-)

I think what may explain that it's being improved a lot at THIS particular time is that Nepomuk, if I understood properly, will play a big role in Plasma Active, so it has to fly as it'll be run on low end devices.

Anyway : congrats again to KDE devs. I just hope they finally realized that stability & speed should ALWAYS be the priority : after all, many people were disappointed by all the amazing features that remained half-baked for years.

Comment

Make Nepomuk really useful to everybody

Well, I don't think we will get it, I already posted this request on some KDE development/bug threads.

Anyway, what I really would like to have is nepomuk having an option to act under request. For example, through buttons or right click on objects. For example, right click on one particular mail box and ask it to be indexed, same with folders or files. Even have option to index all files of particular type (docs) on dolphin.

The benefits are the following: more accurate finds and less noise on search, less wasted space, faster search and less security concerns for things you don't want to be exposed.

These small changes would make nepomuk very useful for me but, as it is now, I also am on more KDE user that just turns it off.

Comment

Btw. The real odd thing with nepomuk affecting other applications is that it is niced in every possible way. It is even set to run as an idle process, which means it should only use cpu or IO when no other process is. The fact that it sometimes affects other processes, is a problem with Linux schedulers being crap.

So for those of you who have had problems and don't have anymore. Maybe it is not the KDE version but the kernel version?

Comment

The new Nepomuk works mostly fine here in 4.10rc3. The only issue here is the e-mail indexing plugin which I handpicked to disable. I'll try it again with the final 4.10 release.
              Other than that I have zero problems. I ran Nepomuk Cleaner anyway.

Everybody bitching about Nepomuk should just disable it and STFU.

Comment

~10.5% off topic.

I tested Amarok 2.7 with the Nepomuk Collection plugin, under KDE 4.10 rc3. The memory usage PLUMMETTED. It went from ~460MB to ~120MB RAM, on a x64 system. What KDE should do is to enforce every app that uses some sort of database (Amarok, Digikam, and even in a later phase Akonadi itself) to use Nepomuk. The memory usage would go way down.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                  ~10.5% off topic.

I tested Amarok 2.7 with the Nepomuk Collection plugin, under KDE 4.10 rc3. The memory usage PLUMMETTED. It went from ~460MB to ~120MB RAM, on a x64 system. What KDE should do is to enforce every app that uses some sort of database (Amarok, Digikam, and even in a later phase Akonadi itself) to use Nepomuk. The memory usage would go way down.
                  So you would fix one buggy app (Amarok) by forcing it to use another buggy app? Enforce? I think you should be on Windows - that's for people that want enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    so well on initial release, but has been fixed long since, and people just don't want to try it out again for no good reason.
                    This is the favorite answer from some kde dev : "we once had some minor problems now fixed". But I disagree with you : at each linux installation (lot of different distros), users come back to me with the same pb ('computer freezes or almost freezes'). Killing nepomuk is always the solution. Even recently. Even VERY recently. That's soooo constant with time.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
                      So for those of you who have had problems and don't have anymore. Maybe it is not the KDE version but the kernel version?
                      Nope I disagree. It is not kernel fault, it's KDE stuff. They keep on merging whatever crap is being written without ANY QA, even basic. I guess the excuse is "we dont have enough manpower". Nepomuk is just the top of the iceberg of some ugly QA (lack of, actually) and design decisions in KDE.

Comment

Working...
                      X