Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative Joining The Open Bandwagon

Phoronix: Creative Joining The Open Bandwagon

It's official, Creative Labs is joining the open specification/code bandwagon for the X-Fi series. Earlier this week we shared that through the Open Sound System there is now open-source support for the Sound Blaster X-Fi...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Furthermore, Phoronix contributor,Hakan Bayindir had previously learned from Creative that as they don't have a dedicated Linux development team
    I bought my X-fi XtremeMusic two months after it was released, and since that time I haven't been able to listen to any music with it (sic). Now I learn that I'm never going to be able to use Creative's drivers because you don't have any developers working on it?

Great work Creative, what the hell have you done with the $617 Million gross profit you earned since you released the X-FI?

I'm never buying your products again.

Comment

Originally posted by Radon View Post
      I bought my X-fi XtremeMusic two months after it was released, and since that time I haven't been able to listen to any music with it (sic). Now I learn that I'm never going to be able to use Creative's drivers because you don't have any developers working on it?

Great work Creative, what the hell have you done with the $617 Million gross profit you earned since you released the X-FI?

I'm never buying your products again.

If you ask me, releasing specs to wild is good enough for today. I'm using an Audigy2ZS and I'm happy with it. It sounds quite good on Linux and I can even use the digital out on it (with an old FPS 2000 digital) with multi-channel streams.

But I think I won't buy any of their high end cards whose documentation is not released yet (the same thing I've done with X-Fi).

Except this move, They were not that bad (this doesn't mean I don't want EAX advanced equalizers on linux) on open-source arena but I don't understand why they don't release high-end features' specs.

Cheers.

Comment

Well, this may be a case of "too little too late" IMHO. We shall see if this is just a bluff.

Comment

Nothing is too little too late. Not in my books it isn't. But then again, I'm a very patient person...

Whether or not they took the open source mindset now, or later it's still good for us in the long run as long as they continue to do so. Sure, you're not going to get a brand spanking, fully featured driver out the gate today...but in the future, we'll see the cake. Delicious and moist.

The bigger the bandwagon gets...the more companies who might be inclined to jump on it...it's a winning situation.

Comment

let's see if they keep releasing specs to their new cards.

if there are any new creative cards coming out, as i'm not on par with that subject.

Comment

The X-Fi series are the latest from Creative at this time...(as far as I know...)

Comment

Is this a case of Open Source as Trash Can?

Comment

Originally posted by wiscados View Post
                  Is this a case of Open Source as Trash Can?
                  No. Just airing my opinion that Creative needs to fire their Management.

MS did a complete restructuring of the architecture of the audio by removing hardware acceleration for DirectSound in Vista. The only way now that you can have hardware acceleration in Vista is through Creative's OpenAL, which is cross platform (Mac, Linux, Xbox 360, Windows, and others).

Remember my previous post about their profit? Creative decided to shift their software developers to fix the UAA problem instead of hiring new ones to focus on the cross-platform OpenAL which could bring them more profits, and keep a returning customer like me, satisfied.

Source, source, source.

Comment

Originally posted by Radon View Post
                    Remember my previous post about their profit? Creative decided to shift their software developers to fix the UAA problem instead of hiring new ones to focus on the cross-platform OpenAL which could bring them more profits, and keep a returning customer like me, satisfied.
                    Unfortunately, until recently, most management seems to have thought that in order to survive in the computer industry, they needed to give Microsoft what they wanted- and UAA was what MS wanted. Just like DirectX 10 and so forth.

For all intents and purposes Vista flopped.
                    The OEMs and hardware manufacturers are paying that price.

Comment

Working...
                    X