Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Management To See Changes In GNOME 3.8

Phoronix: Power Management To See Changes In GNOME 3.8

The GNOME 3.8 release will make several user-facing changes concerning how power management is dealt with for the open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please Gnome Team, for the love of god give me an option to make windows start in the center of the screen instead of the top-left corner.

Comment

Woho, so from 3.8, gnome has one executable, that serves as desktop, window manager, compositor (all these already in <=3.6) and (new) screensaver. Long live modularity!
      And the "inhibition" thing drove me crazy when using vlc in kde. All those damn answers from vlc-devs "it's kde's fault, not our", when kde supported the most recent inhibition draft. And now finally gnome will support it - and magically it will work on kde :/

Comment

Wow, Gnome actually supporting a FDO standard they didn't create? It is a sign of the end-times, I tell you. I wonder how long before they decide to brea...*ahem*...modify it for their purposes in an incompatible manner.

Comment

>Screensaver now part of the Gnome Shell executable

Why on Earth would you do that?

So now all *box and Unity users would need to use the fugly XScreensaver?

Comment

I hope they fix the gnome-shell lock screen first, because as it is know its a buggy piece of shit. It doesn't even respect "lock after" in system settings, and sometimes it starts to get super slow (it will lock like 1 min after you hit ctrl alt l). Gnome-screensaver always worked reliably even if it wasnt pretty.

At least they are finally supporting FD.o inhibit. Now gnome, just STICK.WITH.IT. I am so sick of them fucking breaking screensaver inhibit with every fucking release. As it is right now in several popular media players this is still broken in gnome because they removed what they were using before (gnome-screensaver -p), so mplayer/mplayer2/smplayer are broken when it comes to this in gnome 3.6. afiak the only media players with working inhibiting in gnome 3.6 is totem/vlc and gnome-mplayer 1.0.7+
            Last edited by bwat47; 01 February 2013, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by quenlinlom View Post

Ubuntu would of course come up with an alternate solution... Either stick with the old gnome-screensaver for a while, fork it, roll their own etc... I believe linux mint has already forked it. Afiak ubuntu already had plans to eventually use the lightdm greeter as the lock screen instead of gnome screensaver.

Comment

New power feature for gnome 3.8

User's didn't like mandatory suspend on lid close when their laptops were plugged in, because theyre earth raping, electricity wasting Gaia haters, but we gave it to them anyway!

In same spirit we now bring you: Hibernate on Idle, and it's MANDTORY!

You'll still use it, fuck you

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
                  Please Gnome Team, for the love of god give me an option to make windows start in the center of the screen instead of the top-left corner.
                  Please. I know this is a little thing to some people, but it annoys me to no end. This is especially true because the Activities hot corner is the left corner and reaching for new windows to drag them can lead to unwanted overview activation.

Comment

Originally posted by quenlinlom View Post

Wait, what!? Screensavers still exist!?

Comment

Working...
                    X