Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Linux Bricks Some UEFI Samsung Laptops

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,194

    Default Linux Bricks Some UEFI Samsung Laptops

    Phoronix: Linux Bricks Some UEFI Samsung Laptops

    Generating a fair amount of attention today is word that when booting modern versions of Ubuntu -- and other Linux distributions -- on Samsung laptops that utilize UEFI, Linux can actually brick the system. There's now an urgent Linux kernel patch underway...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4ODQ

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Linux Bricks Some UEFI Samsung Laptops

    Generating a fair amount of attention today is word that when booting modern versions of Ubuntu -- and other Linux distributions -- on Samsung laptops that utilize UEFI, Linux can actually brick the system. There's now an urgent Linux kernel patch underway...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4ODQ
    UEFI the anti-linux technique.

    Did anyone expect anything good ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    42

    Default Correction

    A Samsung linux driver bricks some Samsung laptops. Obviously it has little to do with Linux as a whole.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Samsung sure provides the users with an additional freedom to destroy their hardware via software methods if they wish to : http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/201...ur-chromebook/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    113

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,124

    Default

    Maybe it is the Samsung laptop that is bad if it can get bricked so easy?

    If software can brick the system, then the system is faulty to begin with.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by necro-lover View Post
    UEFI the anti-linux technique.

    Did anyone expect anything good ?
    Indeed. All the more power for µ$.

    But some idiots did expect and still do expect. Canonical was/is among them. That's why I find this very sad news and major PR catasthrope still very hilarious.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by necro-lover View Post
    UEFI the anti-linux technique.

    Did anyone expect anything good ?
    Stupid engineers is the problem. Not UEFI.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    Stupid engineers is the problem. Not UEFI.
    I'm not so sure about this:

    http://www.h-online.com/open/news/fo...14372428/read/

    In such case uefi is worthless and dangersous anti-Linux troublemaker.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawlerson View Post
    I'm not so sure about this:

    http://www.h-online.com/open/news/fo...14372428/read/

    In such case uefi is worthless and dangersous anti-Linux troublemaker.
    A suffeciently advance virus could load kernel modules that cause hardware errors, however this is true in any OS.

    But since UEFI works on most other laptops, or at least doesn't brick them, we can take away that either the Samsung guys dis something incredibly stupid in their firmware, or the kernel devs did the same in thier driver. However since this bug bricks the board it's going to be a PITA to troubleshoot without samsung support.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •