Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fedora To Look At Reviving Apache OpenOffice

the next big OpenOffice release (4.0) is supposed to be quite good. Especially improvement to MS document formats compatibility. Since about summer last year the OpenOffice developers have worked on implement much code of Symphony (IBMs Openoffice-Fork). This will go into the 4.0 version.

The better compatibility is shown in their wiki: Documentation/Fidelity Improvement Since AOO341
    Many bug fixes

Currently I'm using LibreOffice, but I might switch back to OpenOffice when 4.0 is released.
    Last edited by Fenrin; 01-30-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Default Libre/Open Office

It would be much better to have Apache OpenOffice as an option, not as a replacement.
    I personally prefer LibreOffice.

Quote Originally Posted by efikkan View Post
    Not at all, "OpenOffice" just sounds better than "LibreOffice" in the English language.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Nothing to do with the associations of "open" vs "libre" - it's simply the sounds of the words, the assonance of the repeated Os.

Though I'd agree with the other posted... the full name of OpenOffice.org is a bit irritating.

Default First sentence re-write

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Fedora To Look At Reviving Apache OpenOffice

Most Linux distributions have switched over to using LibreOffice in recent years for an office productivity suite on the Linux desktop after disturbances resulting in LibreOffice being forked from OpenOffice.org following Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4ODI
    'Fraid this is a painful sentence to read. Reading out loud what you've written may assist with self-editing in the future (just a suggestion).

Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Though I'd agree with the other posted... the full name of OpenOffice.org is a bit irritating.
    I'm pretty sure the Apache project changed it to just OpenOffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Nothing to do with the associations of "open" vs "libre" - it's simply the sounds of the words, the assonance of the repeated Os.

What repeated Os?
    LEE-BRAY-OFF-ISS
    Are you pronouncing it: LEE-BROFF-ISS?

Quote Originally Posted by _r00t- View Post
    It would be much better to have Apache OpenOffice as an option, not as a replacement.
    I personally prefer LibreOffice.
    Is that not what was proposed?

Calculate Linux has LibreOffice installed by default. I can easily install OpenOffice if I want to. LibreOffice supports VBA better than OpenOffice probably thanks to LGPL. I use a spreadsheet file named Unibox to help simulate speakers in sealed (acoustic suspension), vented (bass reflex), bandpass, and passive radiator/bass radiator types. It still does not work.

Both LibreOffice and OpenOffice are OK for making drafts, but they suck for production use or use in business. Microsoft Office is still the standard even though I do not like the ribbon style GUI. I have WINE setup to run Microsoft Office.

Quote Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
    LibreOffice supports VBA better than OpenOffice probably thanks to LGPL.
    If you ask me VBA, need not to be supported but killed with fire, what an awful script language.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I don't think Libre sounds communist at all. It sounds French.

That might actually be worse in some parts of the world.
    I seriously laughed when reading that. That indeed might even contain some part for the reason as of way some people don't like it.