Fedora To Look At Reviving Apache OpenOffice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
    In addition, the term "Libre" in LibreOffice just don't sound right, OpenOffice was a good name.
    Funny. I would prefer Apache OpenOffice to win this battle simply because it has a more enterprise friendly name. Both "Apache" and "OpenOffice" are great brands.

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
      Funny. I would prefer Apache OpenOffice to win this battle simply because it has a more enterprise friendly name. Both "Apache" and "OpenOffice" are great brands.
      I then sincerely hope that since there are no licensing costs involved, people will look at the technical aspects of each package and choose what bests suits them. Instead of going with the next hype.

Brand names, are just that: names.

Comment

i wonder if Michael read Fedora/bsd hoax.

No harm in having openoffice as a choice.

Though it may be best for an uninformed user for them to be offered Libreoffce if they search for 'openoffice' in a package manager. Right now AOO is effectively equivalent to installing an old version of LO. I suspect that a lot of people who use AOO are just unaware of LO.

It looks like the AOO folk will make sure that they ship the symphony stuff before LO can ( https://lwn.net/Articles/532665/ ), so maybe soon AOO will have additional features to distinguish it from LO.

Comment

Honestly I'm rooting for the two projects to merge back. The (legitimate) problem with Oracle is now gone, I see no reason to keep duplicating efforts at this point.

Comment

I have actually always despised the name OpenOffice.org (and remember that was the name, not OpenOffice) so I personally much prefer LibreOffice (I honestly do not get the hate, and I only know English and grew up in a primarily English speaking country). That being said, I do kind of agree that having two suites with basically the same goals is kind of stupid and that they should probably merge, under whatever name.

Comment

I'm still on Squeeze, so...has LO integrated the 3d Draw yet?

Also, I've heard of people who switched to Apache OO just because of new bugs in LO.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                Are you implying that the communist 'smell' of the word 'Libre' is posing a barrier to company's in a capitalist society from adopting it?
                I don't think Libre sounds communist at all. It sounds French.

That might actually be worse in some parts of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  I don't think Libre sounds communist at all. It sounds French.
                  Libre is both French and Spanish.

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
                    And IBM backing it up, so I may actually be able to convince corporate to use it instead of MS Office in their enterprise, unlike LibreOffice. If not for that factor I don't care, has long has MS lose it monopoly, thus increase need for more open standard to be used, has to ensure interoperability, has to no longer be forced toward their product except for situation where they are the best IT solution to a problem, and thus would have earned to be the solution, instead of because of been locked in their grasp.
                    Last edited by iniudan; 30 January 2013, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                      Libre is both French and Spanish.
                      And both of those borrowed the term from the Latin līber.

Comment

Working...
                      X