Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora To Look At Reviving Apache OpenOffice

Phoronix: Fedora To Look At Reviving Apache OpenOffice

Most Linux distributions have switched over to using LibreOffice in recent years for an office productivity suite on the Linux desktop after disturbances resulting in LibreOffice being forked from OpenOffice.org following Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems. While Fedora is one of the distributions that has been living with LibreOffice, OpenOffice may come back as an option in Fedora 19...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I heard IBM is contributing to OO 4 with its code of Symphony. But right now, what is the different between OO and libreoffice?( I know both story but talking about the features and software). Can anybody tell what is the point of using OO instead of Libreoffice?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
      I heard IBM is contributing to OO 4 with its code of Symphony. But right now, what is the different between OO and libreoffice?( I know both story but talking about the features and software). Can anybody tell what is the point of using OO instead of Libreoffice?
      There is no point (anymore). LO has the bigger community *and* more industry support. I don't mind OO.o getting packaged again, but personally I would have left it to die long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
        License.

OpenOffice.org was converted to the Apache license, while LibreOffice is (still) LGPL.

Comment

Over time LO will grow faster since it can also import code from OOo. The other way is not permitted since OOo is under a non-copyleft license while LO is under LGPL.

See here for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            License.

OpenOffice.org was converted to the Apache license, while LibreOffice is (still) LGPL.
            That doesn't really change right?

Originally posted by https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Re-Basing
            The MPLv2 is, intrinsically a quadruple license. Its language in section 1.12 and 2.4 allows switching to the GPLv2.0+, LGPLv2.1+, and the AGPLv3.0+.

Comment

I wish OpenOffice and LibreOffice would merge back again, the open office suites has suffered a lot in terms of PR at a time so many institutions in Europe were considering it. In addition, the term "Libre" in LibreOffice just don't sound right, OpenOffice was a good name.

Comment

Originally posted by efikkan View Post
                I wish OpenOffice and LibreOffice would merge back again, the open office suites has suffered a lot in terms of PR at a time so many institutions in Europe were considering it. In addition, the term "Libre" in LibreOffice just don't sound right, OpenOffice was a good name.
                Are you implying that the communist 'smell' of the word 'Libre' is posing a barrier to company's in a capitalist society from adopting it?

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  Are you implying that the communist 'smell' of the word 'Libre' is posing a barrier to company's in a capitalist society from adopting it?
                  Not at all, "OpenOffice" just sounds better than "LibreOffice" in the English language. In addition, most people have heard about OpenOffice, and some people uses the problems with Oracle to call open source software unreliable, which is unfortunate.

Comment

Would like to have both Available.
                    That's it's in the repositories is enough for me.

I mean free software suppose to not be walled gardens (Apple, Nook style) right?

Comment

Working...
                    X