AMD Catalyst 13.2 Beta Driver For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    And the latest supported kernel is still 3.5, which is already EOL. AMD, you suck.
    In what world you live in? There is no such thing as EOL kernel(almost, 2.6.32 is still maintained). Latest RHEL 6.3 uses 2.6.32. People who use vanilla kernels and cutting edge distributions are basically bug catchers for solid stable production ready distributions. There is a reason why Debian variant with fresh kernels called "Debian Unstable".

Current long-term stable kernel, which will be supported by kernel.org up to 2014 is 3.4
    Last edited by krasnoglaz; 30 January 2013, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by krasnoglaz View Post
      In what world you live in? There is no such thing as EOL kernel. Latest RHEL 6.3 uses 2.6.32. People who use vanilla kernels and cutting edge distributions are basically bug catchers for solid stable production ready distributions. There is a reason why Debian variant with fresh kernels called "Debian Unstable".

Current long-term stable kernel, which will be supported by kernel.org up to 2014 is 3.4
      However you may interpret it - EOL kernels (vanilla) do exist.

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
        It works with later versions of the kernel as well, so i dont see a problem?
        It does not install on kernel 3.7 without being patched, so there is a problem. If you have a patched package for your distribution that means that the maintainers of your distribution have done the work that the AMD developers should have done in the first place. Those patches appear almost instantly when a new driver is released, so either the distro developers are much smarter than AMD developers or those patches are trivial, but AMD refuses to implement them. In both cases there is something wrong with AMD.

As long as they go for this crappy driver policy I will not give them my money again.

AMD, if you are already short on money pissing of your existing customers should not be the way to go. Sad enough that you do not recognize that on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
          However you may interpret it - EOL kernels (vanilla) do exist.

http://kernel.org
          And long term stable EOLs do exist. But for user, effectively, they don't, if he does dist-upgrade at least once per 3 years.

2.6.32 is 4 years old.

Comment

I'm running catalyst 13.1 on kernel 3.7 with no problems. Folks, try before you whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              It does not install on kernel 3.7 without being patched, so there is a problem. If you have a patched package for your distribution that means that the maintainers of your distribution have done the work that the AMD developers should have done in the first place. Those patches appear almost instantly when a new driver is released, so either the distro developers are much smarter than AMD developers or those patches are trivial, but AMD refuses to implement them. In both cases there is something wrong with AMD.

As long as they go for this crappy driver policy I will not give them my money again.

AMD, if you are already short on money pissing of your existing customers should not be the way to go. Sad enough that you do not recognize that on your own.
              Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by nirvanix View Post
                I'm running catalyst 13.1 on kernel 3.7 with no problems. Folks, try before you whine.
                Hiya, this latest beta driver at least is not compiling for me on the latest Fedora 17 kernel (3.7.3). I've had to roll back to 3.6.9.

Which distro + kernel are you using?

Comment

The driver likes the same patches as 13.1. I packaged 13.2 beta 3 and tested it with Serious Sam 3. Well the result was that it does not start until you do:
                  Code:
                  rm -rvf ~/.steam/root/SteamApps/common/Serious\ Sam\ 3/Temp/ShaderCache/
                  I can not test HD 6000/7000 because i do not own such cards but with HD 5670 i have got the same launching and corruption issue that should be fixed in that driver - did they really fix em for the newer cards???

Comment

Originally posted by evanjfraser View Post
                    Hiya, this latest beta driver at least is not compiling for me on the latest Fedora 17 kernel (3.7.3). I've had to roll back to 3.6.9.

Which distro + kernel are you using?
                    I'm using Arch Linux. Arch is generally a vanilla distro which does not patch the code. I'm not 100% percent sure about the Catalyst driver, but I think it's not patched. Kernel version is 3.7.5. What baffles me most about this forum is how people automatically fling poison darts at the most obvious target, AMD, instead of doing a deeper evaluation of what is going wrong. Honestly, I have run catalyst/fglrx for 12 years on 4 different (soon to be 5!) radeon cards without any major problem. Those cards are: radeon 8500, 9600, 1600XT, 5450, and soon to be integrated graphics on my new ASUS FM2 board.

Perhaps your own distro is patched in such a way that it doesn't allow the catalyst to function?
                    Last edited by nirvanix; 01 February 2013, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nirvanix View Post
                      I'm using Arch Linux. Arch is generally a vanilla distro which does not patch the code. I'm not 100% percent sure about the Catalyst driver, but I think it's not patched.
                      Arch includes patches for kernel 3.7 and 3.8: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/catalyst/

What baffles me most about this forum is how people automatically fling poison darts at the most obvious target, AMD, instead of doing a deeper evaluation of what is going wrong.
                      I can tell you what is going wrong: AMD's driver policy is pathetic. The latest officially supported kernel that is still supported by the kernel developers is 3.4. Patches to make it work with newer kernels seem to be trivial, but nonetheless AMD is not able to integrate them.
                      Want to try the improved drivers of kernel 3.7? The improvements in btrfs? Want to get rid of problems that are solved in newer kernels? Or even try the AVX support for your new CPU? Nope, AMD does not want you to, as long as you are not using the free drivers, which lack proper power-management, video-decoding and don't fully support other features of your GPU.

Perhaps your own distro is patched in such a way that it doesn't allow the catalyst to function?
                      I run Slackware, it is even less patched than Arch.

Comment

Working...
                      X