Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Being Brewed For KDE's Plasma Active

Phoronix: What's Being Brewed For KDE's Plasma Active

Aaron Seigo wrote this morning about some of what's happening next for KDE's Plasma Active, which reveals some interesting future endeavours...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    What's Being Brewed For KDE's Plasma Active
    The only thing brewing at Plasma is creating deps for Qt. Which in return is nothing more than a honey pot trap made to screw open sourcers. Just like most other commercial shit with a fake rubberstamp.If you cant do open source in a honorable then go away. Evil wannabe Oracle.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
      The only thing brewing at Plasma is creating deps for Qt. Which in return is nothing more than a honey pot trap made to screw open sourcers. Just like most other commercial shit with a fake rubberstamp.If you cant do open source in a honorable then go away. Evil wannabe Oracle.
      what?, but Digia save QT from Nokia-MS
      Qt lgpl is amazing for KDE, KDE contribute a lot to QT... i think that this will change in the future

Comment

Yeah seriously Funkstar, what are you even talking about? Qt is under the LGPL for open source releases with a separate legally binding contract between KDE and Digia* that if the open source version of Qt ever starts to lag behind in a major way KDE receives, in full, the latest version of Qt under the BSD license.

*Agreement was originally between Nokia and KDE but I just checked the KDE Free Qt Foundation-- if Qt is sold (which it was) the agreement passes onto the new buyer as a mandatory asset.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

On topic, this is pretty cool and exactly why I love KDE. I actually have to wonder how long till we get cool new experimental desktop concepts based on plasma2. It's sounding to me that for instance they could now pull off what those people did with the Qt based Wayland Compositor that was like an FPS, in plasma2 as a containment.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            On topic, this is pretty cool and exactly why I love KDE. I actually have to wonder how long till we get cool new experimental desktop concepts based on plasma2. It's sounding to me that for instance they could now pull off what those people did with the Qt based Wayland Compositor that was like an FPS, in plasma2 as a containment.
            The DooM Desktop?

Comment

Qt is only the most advanced multi-platform toolkit in the world, and it is fully open-source under three FSF-approved licenses. And all free tablet and phone OSes are based on it.

Jealousy can be a bitch sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                The DooM Desktop?
                Something like that, I want it not because I think it'd be particularly useful but because it's so frigging cool.

Comment

The OP left off what I think is the greatest development: all plasma workspaces will use the same underlying C++ code. They will just be different QML components slapped on top of the code. This means it will be quick and easy to switch between different types of workspaces. Aaron gave the example of your laptop switching to plasma media center automatically when plugged into a TV, but other examples include switching your tablet to netbook mode if you plug in a keyboard and mouse or desktop mode if you also plug it into a larger screen.

It also means it will be easy for people to modify them or make entirely new ones and distribute them through plasma-built in download system. There won't be any need to worry about your distribution compiling anything, as long as the data engines and runners are available you just need to press a few buttons and it will download and install automatically. People who complain about the cashew can just release a containment that doesn't have it, people who complain about X feature from kicker can replace the panel with a kicker clone, etc.

Comment

Yes, this means that the next major version of Plasma is going to be somewhat unexciting. We can't promise the fireworks of the 4.0 release.
                    Thanks, thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X