No announcement yet.

Serious Sam 3 On Linux Becomes More Serious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward to Killing Floor updates.

To my basic knowledge of the situation, this is how I see it:

Killing Floor
    1. Has been around for years and has a loyal following, thus increasing word of mouth about it.
    2. Has an insane amount of user created content.
    3. Great co-op and online multiplayer gameplay (fun leveling system too).

Serious Sam 3 BFE
    1. Still new to the market (barely 2 years old I think).
    2. Since it's still a new game, user created content is still growing.
    3. Focuses on the singleplayer story more than multiplayer.

I could be entirely wrong, and there may be a reason that completely eludes me as to why Killing Floor may be selling more.

My general fear for Killing Floor is from the fact that Tripwire didn't port it themselves. It was Ryan "Icculus" Gordon that ported it, or at least a lot of it.
    If this is the case, then how much control or understanding does Tripwire have over their Linux port?
    Is it enough to produce bug fixes in the future, or is KF going to be left as-is right now to infinity and beyond?

Share it with me though, if anyone has more insight or information on how things are going with Tripwire and Killing Floor.
    I've clocked in about 40 hours of gameplay with Killing Floor in Ubuntu so far, hope to have more.

Some bugs I've encounted in KF:
    1. Stalkers aren't invisible.
    2. Player models and ZED models become see through without a light source (e.g Scrake/Steampunk skin).
    3. Moon Base has some really messed up textures. If you switch on your flashlight, a block texture just covers the parts of the map you shine it on.
    4. Welding gun on KF-Manor makes frames drop to almost 1 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by godlike_panos View Post
      Very good port indeed. Maybe the performance is a bit less than the windows version but not that much.
      The performance on Linux is exactly the same as on Windows. You can't compare OpenGL with DirectX. Set iAPI to OpenGL on Windows and you'll see the same framerates that you have on Linux.

I can also encourage everyone to buy it. Best looking Linux Game by far. Graphics are on par with the D3D Version on ULTRA Settings.

Comment

Originally posted by moony View Post
        Had a similar idea, but instead of using two monitors, I'd use one passive 3d TV, and modify the glasses.
        I call it Alternate Line Splitscreen, would allow two players using the same TV, but each player sees a different picture.

Posted a thread in the steam community, but seem's like I'm the only one who likes that idea...
        http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...7817367717709/
        Showing a proof of concept with private 2D splitscreen on a polarized Vizion E3D420VX 3D television.

Comment

Yep, exactly :-)

Having this supported by the game itself would have some pros (& cons):

+ easy to use
          + keeps correct aspect ratio (distorted when using TV 3D mode)
          + fullscreen video sequences can play unmodified (distorted when using TV 3D mode)
          + should be efficient to implement (render into 3840x540, then keep buffer but change size to 1920x1080)

- development effort
          - only usable with passive 3D TV
          - only works in native resolution of TV (e.g. 1920x1080)

Comment

Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
            mm I wonder If you can use 2 mice 2 keyboards and having 2 monitors for the coop (one screen per gamer), if so, its an insta buy.
            I wish co-op on same machine options would come back. I used to sit on the lounge with my brother sinkin piss and playing Heroes III all day some weekends while watching the cricket.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              I can also encourage everyone to buy it.
              If you buy it, you won't own it.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                If you buy it, you won't own it.
                /eyeroll

10char

Comment

Hi . I love this game , it's funny and cool .

Comment

Working...
                  X