Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious Sam 3 On Linux Becomes More Serious

Phoronix: Serious Sam 3 On Linux Becomes More Serious

A new beta of the Serious Sam 3 game has been released for Linux via Steam...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone tried SS3 with r600g from git recently?

It's unbearably slow with mesa 9.0.x on a 4850.
    Not that I expected something different...

Comment

Really well ported

Serious Sam 3 has to be one of the best game ports coming out of Steam's Linux beta thus far.

I've been playing the game on Ubuntu 12.10, but it really impresses me that I can use the 360 controller in-game without having to set anything up.
      Not to mention, there's practically no bugs I've experienced (except a month ago when taking a screenshot crashed the game).

Maxing everything out with the Nvidia 310.14 drivers, and I get fps of 70 to 80 on average at 1920x1080.
      I only wish that Tripwire would send out bugfixes for Killing Floor just like how Croteam does it.
      Having textures not load properly and heavy fps drops (Highest settings, when ZEDS appear it can drop to 8-10 fps) in Killing Floor is kind of depressing.

Worth the purchase, bought SS3 when it was ported. No regrets.
      SS3 and KF are my two favourite games on Ubuntu atm.

Any news from Tripwire for future updates?
      Hope it doesn't turn out like Dungeon Defenders linux port, which is utter crap.

Comment

Very good port indeed. Maybe the performance is a bit less than the windows version but not that much.

Comment

Indeed, bought the game back in december and already finished it, now going thru the DLC.

As for the controller support, it's nice to see that it works well with the 360 controller, because THERE ARE NO OPTIONS. AT ALL. So basically it's hardcoded for the axis on the x360 controller, and god help you if you want to use other controller.

On the other hand, two keyboards and mice are supported in split screen. Which is kinda weird but awesome at the same time. Who needs a gamepad when you can have proper input

Comment

The F710 wireless gamepad from logitech works, too. Didn't need to configure anything, everything worked out of the box :-)
            (using Ubuntu 12.10, ASrock Vision X with AMD Radeon HD 7850M)

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
              Indeed, bought the game back in december and already finished it, now going thru the DLC.

As for the controller support, it's nice to see that it works well with the 360 controller, because THERE ARE NO OPTIONS. AT ALL. So basically it's hardcoded for the axis on the x360 controller, and god help you if you want to use other controller.

On the other hand, two keyboards and mice are supported in split screen. Which is kinda weird but awesome at the same time. Who needs a gamepad when you can have proper input
              mm I wonder If you can use 2 mice 2 keyboards and having 2 monitors for the coop (one screen per gamer), if so, its an insta buy.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
                Serious Sam 3 has to be one of the best game ports coming out of Steam's Linux beta thus far.

I've been playing the game on Ubuntu 12.10, but it really impresses me that I can use the 360 controller in-game without having to set anything up.
                Not to mention, there's practically no bugs I've experienced (except a month ago when taking a screenshot crashed the game).

Maxing everything out with the Nvidia 310.14 drivers, and I get fps of 70 to 80 on average at 1920x1080.
                I only wish that Tripwire would send out bugfixes for Killing Floor just like how Croteam does it.
                Having textures not load properly and heavy fps drops (Highest settings, when ZEDS appear it can drop to 8-10 fps) in Killing Floor is kind of depressing.

Worth the purchase, bought SS3 when it was ported. No regrets.
                SS3 and KF are my two favourite games on Ubuntu atm.

Any news from Tripwire for future updates?
                Hope it doesn't turn out like Dungeon Defenders linux port, which is utter crap.
                I find this odd as Serious Sam 3: BFE IS consistently lower than Killing Floor in the Top Sellers category and sometimes not even to be found there. I haven't played either, so it might be that Killing Floor and the others offer more replay value than Serious Sam 3: BFE but surely such quality should attract Linux users regardless? Isn't it the prettiest game out for Linux right now as well?

Comment

I think with that discount you should be able to buy it easyly:

Comment

Alternate Line Splitscreen

Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
                    mm I wonder If you can use 2 mice 2 keyboards and having 2 monitors for the coop (one screen per gamer), if so, its an insta buy.
                    Had a similar idea, but instead of using two monitors, I'd use one passive 3d TV, and modify the glasses.
                    I call it Alternate Line Splitscreen, would allow two players using the same TV, but each player sees a different picture.

Posted a thread in the steam community, but seem's like I'm the only one who likes that idea...
                    Would it be possible to implement an alternate line 'splitscreen' mode, in addition to left/right or top/bottom? E.g. 0001. Line 1 of Player1 0002. Line 1 of Player2 0003. Line 2 of Player1 0004. Line 2 of Player2 ... 1079: Line 540 of Player1 1080: Line 540 of Player2 Sequences would remain unchanged (no split), as they are...

Comment

Working...
                    X