Qt 5.1 To Feature Improved Support For Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    There is a way to tell that applications are not responding (or otherwise something like a busy cursor wouldn't be possible).

It's entirely legal (and was proposed on the wayland list) for the compositor (Weston, KWin, etc.) to override the default appearance of the app in that case.

That allows the compositor to stick custom menus, or draw it's own titlebar + buttons on top of the hung app, and the compositor is free to force close, minimize, help drag the window, etc. to it's hearts content.

I don't have a link, but i'm sure you can google to find it if you want.
    I think it work something like that on windows. It works but at least on windows 7 it give some sort of alien feeling when the application misbehave. In linux today with client side yada a frozen application has a more native behaviour.

Comment

There is a way to tell that applications are not responding (or otherwise something like a busy cursor wouldn't be possible).
      Last time I looked they were supposed to be using polling to determine if windows were responsive or not (I believe this works the same way as in android).

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
        Last time I looked they were supposed to be using polling to determine if windows were responsive or not (I believe this works the same way as in android).
        Yup, one of the worst techniques to do anything in computing.

Just like sending commands is always better for network use than sending pixmaps (scraping pixels, VNC-style), polling is just about always the worst possible solution. But it's probably the only possible one, forced by Wayland's design, just like the pixel-scraping for networking (or the other proposition, per-toolkit thing which nobody will implement, or with which every toolkit will be incompatible with each other. Seriously, it's a huge advantage to have network support for *every* app by default, not just those compiled with toolkit foo.)

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

Just like sending commands is always better for network use than sending pixmaps (scraping pixels, VNC-style), polling is just about always the worst possible solution. But it's probably the only possible one, forced by Wayland's design, just like the pixel-scraping for networking (or the other proposition, per-toolkit thing which nobody will implement, or with which every toolkit will be incompatible with each other. Seriously, it's a huge advantage to have network support for *every* app by default, not just those compiled with toolkit foo.)
          In Real Time Systems, where determinism is everything, polling is the preferred method and usually, as in safety critical systems, interrupts are forbidden.
          Last edited by newwen; 31 January 2013, 11:21 AM.

Comment

In RT systems your app is usually the only important thing on the whole system. So its efficiency and monopolizing the cpu doesn't matter there.

Comment

Please do some research. This is just plain false.
              I did research. Wayland will only allow to kill unresponsive apps, not allow to minimize them.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                I did research. Wayland will only allow to kill unresponsive apps, not allow to minimize them.
                Link, or please explain why the simple process above won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post

I wouldn't argue about polling being a bad idea in general but sending commands isn't the best way for dumb retinal situations. Additionally, I don't know how well sending 3d commands would work from a performance POV.

I'm not sure polling is there only option. Heck I'm not sure they settled on it. Only that it seemed to be the path they were going to use first.

Hopefully there will be an fdo proposal made for sending drawing instructions across networks for those who want it but I'm fine with sending diffs.

Comment

Link, or please explain why the simple process above won't work.
                    I thought you were all so omniscient and yet do do not know that?
                    Check the Wayland video from the last Xorg conference, you genius! Michael recorded the entire conference and the videos were heavily featured and yet you missed that?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

ONLY kill unresponsive apps?
                      The display server that would later be called Weston has supported moving frozen windows since at least 2010!

Comment

Working...
                      X