No announcement yet.

Systemd Dreams Up New Feature, Makes It Like Cron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If they really wanted to play nice they could have released the different parts of systemd as independent programs without dependencies of each other. Which they chose not to.

Also... really... boot up time? How often do you boot your computers? I reboot once a months, less on servers, so that's not really a must have function for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by sjukfan View Post
      If they really wanted to play nice they could have released the different parts of systemd as independent programs without dependencies of each other. Which they chose not to.

Also... really... boot up time? How often do you boot your computers? I reboot once a months, less on servers, so that's not really a must have function for me.
      They are individual components which you can enable and disable as you like. Combining that into one build system is just way easier. In any case, that is something for distributions to handle. Not sure why it matters so much to you?

Now you again bring up boot time. Systemd has way more benefits that just boot time. This was addressed in the myths article that Lennart wrote. Suggest you read it.

Comment

• Originally posted by bkor View Post
        They are individual components which you can enable and disable as you like. Combining that into one build system is just way easier. In any case, that is something for distributions to handle. Not sure why it matters so much to you?
        Because I like to be able to chose what software to install or not. And if I have to compile it myself I prefer to have a smaller software with less dependencies.

Comment

• Aw crap! Soon i will have to drop Emacs and use systemd, as emacs simply does not do everything and has too little features!

Comment

• Originally posted by bkor View Post
            They are individual components which you can enable and disable as you like.
            Show me that with compiling one of its main components, udev, without compiling systemd. Oh wait, there goes the modularity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              Show me that with compiling one of its main components, udev, without compiling systemd. Oh wait, there goes the modularity.
              The systemd build system makes the (controversial?) assumption that you are trying to build systemd. That's why there is no switch to switch off systemd compilation (nor its hard dependencies like journald and udevd). However, that does not mean the code is not modular. Just use your own makefile.

If that's too much work, then take LFS's (I believe LFS, unlike eudev, does exactly the right thing to support building udev without systemd): http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/s...-197-2.tar.bz2. Extract that tarball in the systemd sources and now you can install udev just fine using:

make -f udev-lfs-197-2/Makefile.lfs install udev
              make -f udev-lfs-197-2/Makefile.lfs udev

HTH,

Tom

Comment

The systemd build system is made to build systemd (together with its hard dependencies and any subsets of its optional dependencies).

If you want to build something else, you can either do "make XYZ" manually for the files you want, or just write your own Makefile.

If that is too much hassle, I recommend trying LFS's Makefile if that's what you want. They are, IMNSHO, doing the right thing in order to support building udev without building systemd (unlike eudev).

Download: http://anduin.linuxfromscratch.org/s...-197-2.tar.bz2

Extract into systemd sources.

# make -f udev-lfs-197-2/Makefile.lfs udev
                # make -f udev-lfs-197-2/Makefile.lfs install udev

Comment

• I wonder what?s stopping Poettering from reimplementing the kernel in systemd?

Comment

Its only "there goes the modularity" because systemd has a hard dependency on udev. BUT its not the other way around. Compile systemctl, journactl, and udev together and just copy-paste out udev. Or write your own makefile that only compiles udev.
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by sjukfan View Post
                      As Lennart, and I, and many others have said many times... faster boot times weren't the goal of systemd they are just a side effect of doing things correctly. By letting systemd handle dependencies instead of making the package (like upstart and openrc do), by using .socket files, and by buffering input to depended-on services until they are actually ready
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X