Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 122

Thread: Systemd Dreams Up New Feature, Makes It Like Cron

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,335

    Default Systemd Dreams Up New Feature, Makes It Like Cron

    Phoronix: Systemd Dreams Up New Feature, Makes It Like Cron

    Lennart Poettering and Kay Sievers at Red Hat hope to work on a handful of new systemd features as part of the Fedora 19 development cycle. One of the features includes work to make systemd have its own time-based job scheduler that's similar in nature to cron...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4NTk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Old Europe
    Posts
    904

    Default

    Oh, it's systemd again...


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Oh, it's systemd again...

    Yeah it is. Those systemd hackers CODE and get the job(s) done while the moronix bitch crowd does nothing but .. bitch. Even though last weeks mythbuster by Lennart sure did shut a bunch of neckbeardos, nothing speaks like real code and commitment(TM).

    All your base are belong to sys'd

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Yeah it is. Those systemd hackers CODE and get the job(s) done while the moronix bitch crowd does nothing but .. bitch. Even though last weeks mythbuster by Lennart sure did shut a bunch of neckbeardos, nothing speaks like real code and commitment(TM).

    All your base are belong to sys'd
    I never hear anyone bitch about Ubuntu's Upstart, Apple's launchd, or OpenRC.

    People only seem to be bitching about systemd.
    Maybe there is a reason?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I never hear anyone bitch about Ubuntu's Upstart, Apple's launchd, or OpenRC.

    People only seem to be bitching about systemd.
    Maybe there is a reason?
    It's sad, but if Lennart didn't document and communicate systemd so thoroughly and frequently the project would slip under the radar and no one would realize they were using it -- but their system would magically be a little bit better.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I never hear anyone bitch about Ubuntu's Upstart, Apple's launchd, or OpenRC.

    People only seem to be bitching about systemd.
    Maybe there is a reason?
    People dont complain about Launchd cuz its had how many years to be perfected? OpenRC isn't all that much better than sysV since parallelization is broken half the time from what i've heard. And there's no one to complain about Upstart since Ubuntu's userbase (User-friendly, newbie friendly, Linux distro) dont know what to complain about.

    systemd gets flak because its the only one adding features and therefore the only one in the news.

    When was the last time sysV got a new feature? Probably a long time ago-- not in the news. People forget about it.
    When was the last time Upstart got a new feature release? Not recently. Last time I saw a news posting on phoronix about an upstart feature release was about a year and a half ago.

    When was the last time OpenRC got a feature release? I couldnt even tell you because I dont see it in the news AT ALL on ANY site.
    When was the last time systemd got a new feature release? like a week ago.

    All four systems bring up init just fine. But systemd is the only one thats actually moving forward. (You can argue that its moving in the wrong direction, but atleast its MOVING.) All the other projects are sitting there twiddling their thumbs.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post

    systemd gets flak because its the only one adding features and therefore the only one in the news.
    This is my complaint right here... What features are there to add? Manage services.... Duh. Make sure they are started properly and closed properly... What more is there?

    Adding features seems like an excuse to obfuscate.

    It shouldnt be responsible for power management or dev management or job schedules or network interfaces or tty interfaces. Those should each be independent services that of course sysd should be able to start or close. And what happens when someone decides to develop a competing power manager or job scheduler? Why should sysd be responsible to managething infrastructure that has nothing at all to do with its main purpose?
    Last edited by duby229; 01-28-2013 at 04:55 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I never hear anyone bitch about Ubuntu's Upstart, Apple's launchd, or OpenRC.

    People only seem to be bitching about systemd.
    Maybe there is a reason?
    Reason: Linux users are whiny bitches who gladly download and use _free_ stuff that other people worked their asses off on and then rarely contribute back anything besides more whining and bitching.

    There was tons of Linux users whining about Upstart at first. It broke stuff. Then it matured. Same as systemd. Less whining about launchd, but then OSX users don't whine and bitch like Linux users. Nobody does.

    All the major systemd complaints are from non-users of systemd. They whine because they can, not because they have any real reason to. Par for the course in Linux land. Constant gobs of "stop energy" and armchair programmers giving their unsolicited, unwelcome, idiotic opinions on what they think good software looks like.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,440

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    Reason: Linux users are whiny bitches who gladly download and use _free_ stuff that other people worked their asses off on and then rarely contribute back anything besides more whining and bitching.

    There was tons of Linux users whining about Upstart at first. It broke stuff. Then it matured. Same as systemd. Less whining about launchd, but then OSX users don't whine and bitch like Linux users. Nobody does.

    All the major systemd complaints are from non-users of systemd. They whine because they can, not because they have any real reason to. Par for the course in Linux land. Constant gobs of "stop energy" and armchair programmers giving their unsolicited, unwelcome, idiotic opinions on what they think good software looks like.
    You have never posted a single positive thing about Linux on this forum, and now you're criticizing others?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elanthis View Post
    Reason: Linux users are whiny bitches who gladly download and use _free_ stuff that other people worked their asses off on and then rarely contribute back anything besides more whining and bitching.
    Funny thing, that. So, you claim Linux users are cheap and never want to pay for anything... ok, whatever you say. But hey, let's look at the latest Humble Indie Bundle:

    https://www.humblebundle.com/

    Average purchase: $6.70
    Average Windows: $6.23
    Average Mac: $7.95
    Average Linux: $10.47

    Hey, look at that. Looks like it's the Mac & Windows users who are the cheapskates. Linux users? They're willing to pay for quality stuff, when the merchandise is offered on terms that are fair and not covered in EULAs and DRM. I guess Mac and Windows guys already pay so much for their operating systems they have no more money left for other things... eh?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •