Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 13.04 Enables The Wayland Support For GTK+

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.04 Enables The Wayland Support For GTK+

While in December Canonical said they wouldn't fix GTK+ support for Wayland, earlier this month they decided they would enable the Wayland back-end for GTK+ in Ubuntu 13.04. That change has now been made and Ubuntu's GTK+ tool-kit will function in a Wayland environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I launched weston, opened a terminal, exported GDK_BACKEND=wayland
    and tried running gedit, gcalc, gnome-terminal, they all fail with segmentation fault.
    Used 13.04 amd64.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      I launched weston, opened a terminal, exported GDK_BACKEND=wayland
      and tried running gedit, gcalc, gnome-terminal, they all fail with segmentation fault.
      Used 13.04 amd64.
      Perhaps you have to wait a little. The fix was released just 22 hours ago. Make sure you have gtk version 3.6.4-0ubuntu2.

Comment

Firefox and Chromium does not work because they use old GTK2.
        Firefox is in progress of being ported to GTK3 tho.
        RESOLVED (stransky) in Core - Widget: Gtk. Last updated 2024-03-27.

gedit and gnome-terminal doesn't work when launching straight, but they do work if you run them via 'dbus-launch', such as 'dbus-launch gedit'.
        ** (gedit:783): WARNING **: Could not connect to session bus Applications using D-Bus crash on Wayland. They work if ran through the 'dbus-launch' command tho. Such as 'dbus-launch gedit'. ProblemType: Bug DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04 Package: dbus 1.6.8-1ubuntu3 ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-1.5-generic 3.8.0-rc4 Uname: Linux 3.8.0-1-generic x86_64 ApportVersion: 2.8-0ubuntu2 Architecture: amd64 Date: Sat Jan 26 17:13:20 2013 InstallationDate: Installed on 2011-10-21 (463 days ago) Ins...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Launchpad comment: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...52/comments/94
          I find it odd that these are explicitly mentioned in the bug report. Of course they don't work, because they use GTK2. However, isn't xwayland supposed to pick this up??

Comment

Originally posted by uid313
            Won't it make it incompatible with Windows and OS X?

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              Won't it make it incompatible with Windows and OS X?
              Nope, because Firefox doesn't use GTK on Windows or OS X. GTK is just for us Linux users (including BSD, Solaris, etc I think..)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Firefox also has direct calls to X in it as well - and I'm guessing Chromium probably has some too.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  Firefox also has direct calls to X in it as well - and I'm guessing Chromium probably has some too.
                  Google wants to mitigate all this by porting Chromium to OpenGL.

Comment

For applications not ported yet to just use libWayland instead of Xlib, how does one run them under Weston, using a Xorg server inside weston?

Comment

Working...
                    X