Lennart Poettering Takes To Battling Systemd Myths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    He didn't push pulseaudio down everyones throat. Ubuntu decided to be an early adopter and packaged a less than ideal config and so it became the quasi-standard way too early.

Also, if someone creates multiple projects which end up being picked up for the default configuration of most bigger distributions because it works better than the alternatives chances are, you're not more intelligent than him.
    Agreed. Ubuntu's handling of Pulseaudio was the same handling they did with KDE4. They packaged it early and used non-ideal configurations. Then when it got released in a crappy state everyone complained and that became people's automatic assumptions.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Kernel's not really that bloated... I mean could it use SOME trimming, sure, but everything is optional and all drivers are modules.

Unless youre one of those guys that get angry over KMS in which case...really, get over it. KMS works the best, you get the best performance. The only downside to KMS is graphics drivers can cause a kernel crash. But those stability issues should hopefully be sorted out by the open source nature of the drivers. These aren't closed-source blobs that we can't fix problems with. If there's a crash or problem we CAN fix them.
      Well, I can't see how relying in the sheer absence of bugs for stability would be good practice under any circumstances. Preventing a problem is just as important as being able to deal with it once it arrives(cause it usually will).
      An approach closer to a micro-kernel regarding the drivers would seem better in my opinion at least. And yes, I've gotten multiple kernel panics/crashes with at least nouveau lately ..
      The micro-kernel part I'm talking about is kind of like Windows handles it. It would probably need more changes than just the kernel though, to do the graphics driver part as well though(being able to reload the driver without [basically] rebooting, since it seems Xorg will crash anyway, so all apps will too).

Comment

<moronic-trolling>

There are many gaps in this list:

1. Systemd IS LENNARTWARE. It's made by Lennart Poettering, so, it's satanic, it will break your bones and your house.
        2. Systemd doesn't support audio hardware acceleration. It does audio software mixing... wait... was it PulseAudio?
        3. Systemd is PulseAudio. See 1.

</moronic-trolling>

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
          <moronic-trolling>

There are many gaps in this list:

1. Systemd IS LENNARTWARE. It's made by Lennart Poettering, so, it's satanic, it will break your bones and your house.
          2. Systemd doesn't support audio hardware acceleration. It does audio software mixing... wait... was it PulseAudio?
          3. Systemd is PulseAudio. See 1.

</moronic-trolling>
          Actually 2. is true, in that Systemd indeed doesn't support audio hardware acceleration. Damn it Lennart, you've done it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
            Well, I can't see how relying in the sheer absence of bugs for stability would be good practice under any circumstances. Preventing a problem is just as important as being able to deal with it once it arrives(cause it usually will).
            An approach closer to a micro-kernel regarding the drivers would seem better in my opinion at least. And yes, I've gotten multiple kernel panics/crashes with at least nouveau lately ..
            The micro-kernel part I'm talking about is kind of like Windows handles it. It would probably need more changes than just the kernel though, to do the graphics driver part as well though(being able to reload the driver without [basically] rebooting, since it seems Xorg will crash anyway, so all apps will too).
            I do wish you could reload the driver without rebooting but for now, with how limited performance is already, I can understand why they want to keep in kernel for best performance. Once we get it right kernel-side and we know how to get the most performance out of the drivers, with all the optimizations, then we can start experimenting on things like that. Right now we need as much performance as we can get because we're not getting all that much to begin with (in comparison to amd and nvidia blobs).

As far as nouveau... nouveau just want through a massive re-write kernel-side so bugs/panics will probably happen until all the kinks get worked out with the new code. Make sure to file a bug though if you think you can give enough detail to give the developers an idea of whats happening :P
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

True, there are other priorities for now. If the kernel would move to a more modular(if this is the correct characterization for what i mentioned) it would be beneficial, for testing drivers among other things.

On another note, I wonder if Ubuntu will eventually also transition to Systemd.
              I had read something about not considering it reliable enough yet and there might be a switch after the coming LTS, but that's rumors.

Comment

Originally posted by systemd anals bsd
                systemd is the best, all who disagree are dirty BSD proprietary whores
                Man, your penis must be so small that you have to troll the forums about an operating system. You complain about the code quality of the BSDs?
                Well, how about showing us your code? Do you even know how to code?

Comment

Only people who love to present their asses for M$ and Apple to penetrate us vi or vim.

Get a life and use GNU EMACS or just burn yourself

vi sucks.

EMACS rulez
                  So more than half of the developers of your beloved Linux kernel present their asses to Microsoft and Apple, including people like Greg Kroah-Hartman. That is funny.

Also, still waiting for your code, so that we can see if it is as messy as you claim to the BSD code to be.

Man, you suck as a troll, Phoronix has seen much better trolls already, go home, make your homework and come back if you are a full blown troll, not a clueless 12 years old.

Comment

Only people who love to present their asses for M$ and Apple to penetrate us vi or vim.

Get a life and use GNU EMACS or just burn yourself

vi sucks.

EMACS rulez
                    I have the feeling that this guy's favourite text editor is Notepad or MS Word.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Didn't mention that systemd is closely tied to udev and journald and that there is a dependency there and people are forced to use it.
                      Not to mention the depandancy of a bootloader and memory management in the kernel! The next thing you know is that

Comment

Working...
                      X