Wayland/Weston 1.0.4 Released; Per-Output Workspaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    That's not about Xorg, it's about your WM. X does not know or care about workspaces.

So if you want that behavior on X, just use a proper WM instead of blaming X
    X has a shared surface for all screens where Wayland has one per output so it has a tendency to dictate how it works in the wm

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      X has a shared surface for all screens where Wayland has one per output so it has a tendency to dictate how it works in the wm
      True but Kwin, Mutter and Compiz spend most of their time bypassing X to begin with. It wouldnt surprise me if this was another area where (some) of them bypassed X as well.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
        Great!

Can't wait until 14.10 when Ubuntu should use Wayland as default (my opinion), Compiz drives me crazy.
        I think you mean Weston. Wayland is the protocol, Weston is the compositor implementation. Though I don't really see Canonical using Weston - it is supposed to be a reference implementation. They like their WM candy. I'd like to see them adopt Kwin, since they apparently hate Mutter, so we have less fragmentation. And since Unity is written in c++ and the phone apps are going to be in qt, I guess having a qt based wm would make sense.

Comment

Working...
        X