Fedora Proposal To Use Cinnamon Desktop By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roberto Dirksen View Post
    Don't strain yourself. Search for Diet Coda and Codea. This is just the beginning. I have no doubt people will be able to develop apps entirely on a tablet in a few years. Tablets will force software development to advance as well. The post-PC programming languages and tools will be much easier to use than what exists today.
    Just for the record; PC stands for Personal Computer. Post-PC era stands for post-PersonalCompute era, and it obviously means that Cloud-services are doing the computing and present the data and the interface over HTML/native apps.

In case you've misunderstood the Apple's marketing department:
    1. They clearly see the iPad as a product that fills the void between smartphones and laptops;
    2. iOS was first introduced without an SDK because webapps could just as easily do the job. That is why you can bookmark webpages as icons on the homescreen, however; webapps don't generate revenue and small startups can't afford gigantic server costs and so the appstore was a drop-in replacement to lower the barrier to entry;
    3. Programming and post-PC are not realy compatible terms.

Anyone trying to use an iPad to program applications hasn't realy understood anything about the very purpouse of the iPad, whatsoever. Now there are people who researched the idea of visual programming, but thus far any attempt in R&Ding this dumb idea has "Microsoft Frontpage" written all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
      Because a lot of Linux users refuse anything new.
      No, you miss the point. What Linux users refuse is having some committee force a limited approach to computing on them without having the ability to change it.

Linux users are accustomed to modifying their system to fit their preferences and to optimise their workflow. Traditionally, all desktops have presented you with a vanilla default and allowed you to modify it to your needs.

What Linux users do not like is when somebody comes and says that using your desktop the way you like it is verboten.

Linux people have been running innovative desktops for decades, some of the stuff I've seen would make the "innovative kiddies" crap their pants and cry for mummy. It's not innovation people object to, it's the removal of features coupled with a holier-than-thou use-it-or-drop-dead attitude.

Comment

So back with F15 they decided to switch to GS, back in the day when touch screen laptops were nonexistent.

Now when even Microsoft ditched the traditional "desktop" paradigm in win8, now when touch enabled laptops/tablets are ubiquitous, now they say they want to move back to the traditional desktop.

WTF Fedora?

Comment

Openbox, Fluxbox, AwesomeWM, KDE3, KDE4, Gnome2, Gnome3, LXDE... I tried em all... the only one that had a (imo) legitimate feature my current DE doesn't offer the option of was AwesomeWM, but it lacks a great many other features.

My current DE is Xfce. With the exception of 'looking flashy', what do any of these other DE's actually offer over it? Nothing, and the others that match it's featureset are slower... and the rest don't have enough panel customisation.
          Last edited by korrode; 25 January 2013, 12:56 PM. Reason: forgot to mention LXDE when listing DE's i tried

Comment

Originally posted by korrode View Post
            My current DE is Xfce. With the exception of 'looking flashy', what do any of these other DE's actually offer over it? Nothing, and the others that match it's featureset are slower... and the rest don't have enough panel customisation.
            *high five*

I agree -- if you need a "classic" desktop, why would you use another DE? KDE and GNOME are actually slower than Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by korrode View Post
              My current DE is Xfce. With the exception of 'looking flashy', what do any of these other DE's actually offer over it?
              Network transparency, object component model, semantic indexing, unified PIM storage shared between all your applications, standard components and APIs ready for rapid application development, consistent configuration mechanism for all your apps, consistent DBUS-based communication, etc. KDE and GNOME offer all these things because their aim is to provide a complete desktop environment, not just a WM and a panel.

XFCE is a very basic desktop environment. Nothing bad with that, mind you. If you don't need the additional stuff a desktop environment provides, then you will be happy with lighter setups.

Comment

Most of you seem to be under the impression that they're actually switching to Cinnamon. Even the article admits the proposal will probably be shot down (I'm thinking it's got a snowball's chance in Hell). Articles like this are great for Phoronix in terms of clicks and page hits, but it seems to be a lot of noise and no signal. If I propose Ubuntu moves from Unity to LXDE by default, do I get my own article too?

Comment

It's really funny how some are not willing to use anything but the default configuration of something. So they'll whine and cry until the said configuration is adjusted to fit whatever their tastes are, failing to realize there are a lot of other PITAs like themselves out there asking for the same thing (but with a different configuration of course).

Get a life, people.

Comment

I've been using Linux for 7 years now, and I've tried many DE's. Personally, Gnome 3 is my favourite. I like the simplification, and power of switching apps with 1 swipe and workspaces auto/add and remove and many other awesome features. Yes, it takes 2x LONGER to start up Gnome Shell than boot into runlevel 3...but hey, you only do it 1 time each month (usually after kernel+nvidia updates). Or not at all. So speed argument...irrelevant.
                    I like Cinnamon too, but I like Gnome 3 more. I like XFCE too. And Pantheon. But I like Gnome 3 more.

What is wrong with shipping Gnome 3 by default, I mean you can install any DE you like, its not hard!!!!
                    Or maybe if would be better to make a Cinnamon spin, rather than drop Gnome 3 alltogether from default spin. This way, everyone is happy.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                      So back with F15 they decided to switch to GS, back in the day when touch screen laptops were nonexistent.

Now when even Microsoft ditched the traditional "desktop" paradigm in win8, now when touch enabled laptops/tablets are ubiquitous, now they say they want to move back to the traditional desktop.

WTF Fedora?
                      You (along with several other posters here) seem to be confused. Fedora is a open project and anyone can propose any feature they want including you. That doesn't mean that Fedora will accept it nor does it imply that this is somehow the official direction of Fedora. The following article does a much better job describing the process.

A community member has suggested that Cinnamon, not GNOME 3, should be used as the default desktop interface in Fedora 19. The developers are now discussing this proposal; the integration of Enlightenment and GCC 4.8, on the other hand, has already been approved

Comment

Working...
                      X