Fedora Proposal To Use Cinnamon Desktop By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
    Do you mind trying to detail why you think GNOME3 is trying to be Windows 8?

I also find it a bit strange since GNOME3 was released over a year before Windows 8.

But mostly I find it strange that people still care about this issue.
    We know that some of you don't like GNOME3. But realize that a lot of us actually do, and are getting kind of tired of all the hating.
    It's been almost two years since GNOME 3.0, and the GNOME project seem to be doing fine.
    Yeah, gnome 3 was released before Windows 8, but the point is both projects tries to be smartphone OS and both sucks badly. It doesn't really matter which one messed up first. Users do care about such issues, because Gnome 2 sucked as well, but was far more usable. There are much more users who hate gnome 3 compared to those who like it - some idiots from gnome UI guidelines team, some fanboys and those who modify it heavily. What makes you thinking gnome seems to be doing fun? It's the best joke I've ever heard! Not only nearly every serious distro dropped generic gnome 3 to more sane environments or gnome 3 hybrids, but also gnome 3 flagship distribution plans to do the same. Gnome shell is dying and it should never born.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      merge Cinnamon to Gnome
      That's stupid because Cinnamon is a full-blown fork.

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      and let the user decide which of the two desktop metaphores to use.
      Already done. That's what extensions are for.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        Yeah, gnome 3 was released before Windows 8, but the point is both projects tries to be smartphone OS and both sucks badly.
        Well. No.

Gnome 2 sucked as well, but was far more usable.
        I don't think so. I do stuff at least as fast as in GNOME2.

There are much more users who hate gnome 3 compared to those who like it - some idiots from gnome UI guidelines team, some fanboys and those who modify it heavily.
        I'd like to see the numbers to back that up. I see a vocal disgruntled minority.

What makes you thinking gnome seems to be doing fun?
        Having followed the GNOME development for a while (as a user, not developer) it seems to me that development is stronger now than a few years ago.

It's the best joke I've ever heard!
        You should get funnier friends

Not only nearly every serious distro dropped generic gnome 3 to more sane environments or gnome 3 hybrids
        Ubuntu was going in their own direction before Gnome-Shell, IIRC. I have not followed other distributions very closely.

but also gnome 3 flagship distribution plans to do the same.
        You realize that the Feature Proposal is a *Proposal* and will likely never happen?

Gnome shell is dying and it should never born.
        Gnome-Shell is almost two years old and is getting better and better for each version.
        Quite far from being dead, I assure you.

If you don't like it, don't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto Dirksen View Post
          Yes, stick with tradition. That's a great way to advance technology.

If you don't like Gnome 3, it means you're too stupid to learn new things.
          lol, I've read the same exact thing from Windows fanboys. I don't dislike Gnome-Shell. I kinda like it, but I wouldn't call change for the sake of change an progress in terms of technology.
          Last edited by newwen; 25 January 2013, 10:18 AM.

Comment

If you don't like it, don't use it.
            GNOME Shell - If you don't like it, don't use it.

That seems to become the leading motto of GNOME for good or bad...

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
              GNOME Shell - If you don't like it, don't use it.

That seems to become the leading motto of GNOME for good or bad...
              If you don't like some piece of software, and have other options, then why should you use it?
              Maybe because I wasn't particularly impressed by KDE, I should drop down on every KDE article I see and announce that the developers are stupid because they are not catering to my needs?
              Yeah, that seems constructive.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
                lol, I've read the same exact thing from Windows fanboys. I don't dislike Gnome-Shell. I kinda like it, but I wouldn't call change for the sake of change an progress in terms of technology.
                Gnome 3, iOS, and Microsoft's Modern UI are all easier to use than traditional DEs. If you don't see that as progress, it means you're a stereotypical, pseudo-intellectual geek who doesn't know anything about technology. This is where computers are heading. If you don't like it, start your own distro, call it Amish OS, and leave the rest of us alone.

(Posted from my iPad mini, a post-PC device.)

Comment

If you don't like some piece of software, and have other options, then why should you use it?
                  Maybe because I wasn't particularly impressed by KDE, I should drop down on every KDE article I see and announce that the developers are stupid because they are not catering to my needs?
                  Yeah, that seems constructive.
                  Where did I call anyone stupid? My point is, that with such statements they/you make it look like feedback is not welcomed, no matter whether it is constructive or not. And the GNOME forks spouting all around seem to confirm this.

Comment

While I a not a Gnome3 UI user myself, I'm getting concerned now thier main backer, the Fedora group is switching UI's. Gnome makes the framework and the UI. If the gnome group suffers, the frame work that powers Unity, and Cinnamon suffers too. :/

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
                      I used to use Fedora for everything, [but then I(t) took an arrow to the knee].
                      Seriously, though. I like fedora, but I don't particularly care for Gnome Shell or Cinnamon. Would have preferred if they used one of the other alternatives, but as I'm not currently using Fedora, it doesn't bother me too much. I'll be watching to see how this turns out, of course.

Comment

Working...
                      X