No announcement yet.

Fedora Proposal To Use Cinnamon Desktop By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observation: Dear spammer you raised the bar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roberto Dirksen View Post
      Yes, stick with tradition. That's a great way to advance technology.

If you don't like Gnome 3, it means you're too stupid to learn new things.

Originally posted by Roberto Dirksen View Post
      Don't strain yourself. Search for Diet Coda and Codea. This is just the beginning. I have no doubt people will be able to develop apps entirely on a tablet in a few years. Tablets will force software development to advance as well. The post-PC programming languages and tools will be much easier to use than what exists today.
      I suppose that Diet Coda and Codea are written on tablets.

Originally posted by Roberto Dirksen
      The post-PC programming languages and tools will be much easier to use than what exists today
      And they ("post PC programming languages" and tools) will be written on tablets also.

Comment

• The Only thing, somebody could motivate to switch from debian/ubuntu/anything else to fedora is gnome-shell. The gnome-shell support in Ubuntu sucks, they mix components from different versions, oder nautiluses etc, the other thing about redhat I like is that the contribute much to important upstream projects, but that alone would not make me use their distribution.

What I really have Problems with, is that there are very few vanilla gnome-shell distributions, I tried it because of that. I am not fully switching to it, because they have right now problems, with the current release and I want new stuff but not broken stuff it does not work at the moment well for me.

So if they want to do such stuff, why not make like Ubuntu some tastes like kubuntu and stuff. There are 1000 Cinemon distributions out there now and only 2-3 gnome-shell distros... so wth would you wanna switch this 2-3 distries to cinemon too? Yes you can install what you want, but you see in ubuntu now to what that leads... no real gnome-shell version xy but xy mixed with xy-1 or even xy-2.

Ok the ubuntu problem is another one, they made several desitions I dont like... so gnome-shell was only the tipping point that lets me try to migrate to other distros. Like the Amazon Adware and other stuff. Sadly for someone who do want to have not very old software like in debian, and a somewhat good desktop experince there are right now not very much good linux alterantives. Arch Linux experince could also be polished... the gentoo tools were more comfortable... and that you have to install first yaourt with the main installer tool, because this main installer is to bad for most people is not very user friendly. And even that yaourt isnt that nicely to use than gentoo tools. And the quality of the AUR packages are often under the roof or just doesnt compile/install. The only advantage I see of arch vs gentoo is that it has binary packages, but that could you have too buy just using ubuntu or fedora.

its realtivly easy ubuntu for unity fans, for people who hate unity AND gnome-shell mint... but what should u use if you like gnome-shell? I thought fedora is maybe the answer...

Comment

• [QUOTE=fanATic;314524
          And they ("post PC programming languages" and tools) will be written on tablets also.[/QUOTE]
          Well, if you've swallowed hook, line and sinker, then I'm sure they will /sarcasm

Yeah, people's capacity to buy marketing bullshit is just staggering

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            The Only thing, somebody could motivate to switch from debian/ubuntu/anything else to fedora is gnome-shell.
            Yeah, because losing wifi and graphics modules on every kernel update is the bomb, yo! Ubuntu 4 life, niggas!

Comment

• Originally posted by fanATic View Post
              I suppose that Diet Coda and Codea are written on tablets.

And they ("post PC programming languages" and tools) will be written on tablets also.
              I don't see why not. They may not have been at first (first you need to write the tools, of course), but after they're working and relatively bug-free there should be nothing stopping you from using them for developing themselves further. In fact, that is IMHO what should be done, as eating your own dog-food is a good way to know whether it needs some extra spice to make it not taste so bad.

Comment

• the way RPM-based distributions handle multilib packages is light years ahead of Debian-based systems.

apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk? Sure, and then you find yourself with the occasional 32-bit application that requires libraries and stuff not covered under ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk, and you're so screwed.

in RPM-based distributions you just add .i586 or i686 to the end of the package name and the package manager does the rest.

So that's 2 distinct advantages Fedora has over any other distro, especially debian-based ones: proper multilib support and Gnome3 packages.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                  The Only thing, somebody could motivate to switch from debian/ubuntu/anything else to fedora is gnome-shell. The gnome-shell support in Ubuntu sucks, they mix components from different versions, oder nautiluses etc, the other thing about redhat I like is that the contribute much to important upstream projects, but that alone would not make me use their distribution.

What I really have Problems with, is that there are very few vanilla gnome-shell distributions, I tried it because of that. I am not fully switching to it, because they have right now problems, with the current release and I want new stuff but not broken stuff it does not work at the moment well for me.
                  Best thing would be to grab this: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ReleaseNotes/12.10

Then add both of the gnome 3 ppas (gnome3 and gnome3-staging).

What you will end up with is a pretty much stock gnome-shell experience without any of the Ubuntu One / Privacy Stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by kaczu View Post
                    Best thing would be to grab this: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/ReleaseNotes/12.10

Then add both of the gnome 3 ppas (gnome3 and gnome3-staging).

What you will end up with is a pretty much stock gnome-shell experience without any of the Ubuntu One / Privacy Stuff.
                    I know you can install gnome-shell basicly to every distribution somehow... thats not the question, the question is if you like to stick on a distro where the payed developers will not ever support all that well. And then there are the other reasons to switch away from ubuntu, adware, very few upstream engagement..., musik shop earning percentages (vs the original I think rhytmbox plugin that did generate money for them)... etc the list is long, thats only what I have in mind spontanious there were more... the openess to the blobs, the od amd-love where they get exclusivly drivers earlier etc...

So then gnome-shell is one point to change to fedora and not to something else its the tipping point for somebody who are not very happy with ubuntu and its dominance...

EDIT: it gets pretty closedsource and proprietary experince... ubuntu one... closed source launchpad... go on... yes they do not break the gpl... but its a bit like organic food from supermarkets its the lowest quality possible with the logo.
                    Last edited by blackiwid; 24 February 2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                      Yeah, because losing wifi and graphics modules on every kernel update is the bomb, yo! Ubuntu 4 life, niggas!
                      you make something really wrong ^^ at least thats not the thing that happens to most people... that maybe is true if you have to emulate windows drivers or something like that... or you have a wifi as example where there is no driver in the kernel as example... and you have to compile each time the module... but for that as example exists dkms... So you refer to a problem most users dont have...

Comment

Working...
                      X