Fedora Proposal To Use Cinnamon Desktop By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kigurai View Post
    And I have seen exactly 0 of these polls. I doubt the rest of the people at my department that happily use GNOME3 have seen them either.
    Most users are happily unaware of the pletora of different forums that exist.
    The same poll can get vastly different results depending on where and who you ask. Your links is actually a good example of that.
    For example, check the poll numbers for Cinnamon in your Arch link compared to the Mint link. Given these, is Cinnamon really really popular, or irrelevant?
    To answer your stupidity: polls are actually correct, because percentage clearly shows gnome lost compared to other environments. To answer your stupidity more: most KDE, XFCE and Cinnamon users are unaware of pletora of different forums that exist. Now, you've got to show me polls where gnome is more popular. Check gnome numbers in Arch and Mint and tell me what don't you understand?

And since when is Fedora not a major distribution?
    Since always, strawman. The point was it's a bastion of gnome and percentage of gnome users in Fedora is quite small.

As for GNOME devs listening to critics. I see plenty of stuff that has changed due to user feedback (recent GNOME classic is one example).
    Ignoring critique that goes against the overall vision of the project is a good thing. You just happen to believe it is a bad thing since you don't like the vision.
    I for one think it is great that there is some kind of vision.
    They don't listen to users and this is also a fact that you even confirmed. So, they're some kind of sect with some strange vision? Ignoring smart critique just to follow some idiotic vision is well... idiotic.

No, they were criticized a lot for fixing "problems that did not exist", and for "regressions/missing features".
    Like what?

Note that I agree that there was some features that went missing when you upgraded from GNOME 2.32 to 3.0. But they have crept back and current version is actually just awesome.
    Nope and they keep removing features - Nautilus. Current version is just a joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Nah, you just make shit up. Let's see?

The leading source brandable domain names. Competitive prices. Excellent service. Get your domain name today.

Gnome 3, Unity, and Xfce are practically tied on 2nd place.
      Cinnamon is only available via the "Other" option which means that any claim of Cinnamon being more popular than Gnome 3 is unfounded.

Gnome is #2 with more than twice as many votes as Xfce.

This is the only listed poll in which Gnome 3 does not occupy one of the top spots. Considering it's Mint, it's not surprising. Gnome 3 still beat Unity, btw.

Gnome 3 is #2.

LinuxQuestions.org offers a free Linux forum where Linux newbies can ask questions and Linux experts can offer advice. Topics include security, installation, networking and much more.

Gnome 3 is far in front of Cinnamon, Unity, MATE,?

Outdated version of that poll. Gnome 3 is on #3 spot in both the outdated and the current one, though.
      No one even voted for Unity or Cinnamon so far.

Hi! Just a short poll to see what desktop environment is most commonly used in Fedora. If you use some other distro don't vote please.

And still Gnome 3 is #1 here.

If your links to polls made a point, then to make KDE?s Plasma Desktop default and drop Cinnamon because no one except the Mint crowd seems to actually care and Xfce established itself as alternative for followers of Gnome's traditional UI. The polls also are evidence that Gnome 3 is actually well received, ranking among the top spots.
      Nice fail. Gnome loses in every poll here. There's no officially supported Unity in Arch and I guess the same is true for Cinnamon.

Comment

• Originally posted by thalaric View Post
        For the love of all that is holy will you people please stop using keybindings to attack a strawman? Gnome Shell's ability to be controlled by the keyboard is excellent, no one ever disputed that. It's directly inspired by Gnome-Do, so people who enjoy working that way can do it on any gnome based desktop, G2, GS, Cinnamon, Mate, Consort, etc. Not to mention that Cinnamon has this built in. You are not adding to this conversation about graphical GUI's, you are detracting from it. Your keyboard does not change so why is your key combo relevant? Can we please discuss the material differences between GS and other desktops, i.e, the overlay and lack of taskbar?
        Take a deep breath and read my post again.
        I answered intellivision about something like krunner - supposedly used in a keyboard centered workflow - vs launching applications via a full screen launcher. My answer is that a properly done full screen launcher is as good as a top bar for such job. The same is true of gnome-do and can be true of searchable menu systems like in cinnamon or other environments.
        I did not write anything about Gnome shell being specifically faster than any of the other good options, nor did I set up any straw man.
        What I did say is that the design of the application launcher as a full screen interface makes sense for an intrinsically disrupting operation such as starting a new application. On the other hand someone finds gnome shell's overview too distracting as a task switcher. I can't really say how much of that is simply the habit of having a task bar, but I'm glad they are getting one with official support in 3.8
        I don't know who you're assigning to your mythical "you people" group, but you're barking under the wrong tree here. I'm simply interested in UI design, whatever OS and DE I can find useful ideas in.
        Last edited by eliac; 28 January 2013, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I don't believe that they are moving any code into Gnome Shell. Their minimalist approach to the desktop does not allow it to do anything useful like contain icons or widgets. I'm glad you can change a registry setting to reenable nautilus mode, but that remains unsupported by gnome. From Vim_User's link:
          I think you read my reply a bit too quickly, I said a new component, not that it would move to GNOME shell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            They don't listen to users and this is also a fact that you even confirmed. So, they're some kind of sect with some strange vision? Ignoring smart critique just to follow some idiotic vision is well... idiotic.
            This is a forum, so listening is a bit difficult of course.

However, I am involved in GNOME and I read these forums as well as other sites. I read, reply, try to see what problems people have. Please don't ignore that I do this! :P

Comment

• Originally posted by bkor View Post
              I think you read my reply a bit too quickly, I said a new component, not that it would move to GNOME shell.
              Then I fail to see the relevance of your response to my criticism of gnome shell.

Comment

Exactly, Cinnamon makes Gnome3 technology useful again.
                So does Gnome Shell. Usefulness depends of users themselves wishing to add functionality through extensions. Cinnamon demonstrated Gnome Shell flexibility which hardly needs to be forked.
                Gnome Classic (using well crafted extensions) made Cinnamon moot.

This is a problem with large amounts of windows open, and the traditional fix is application grouping. Personally I prefer it without grouping to save a click since I usually don't have over 10 windows open on each workspace.
                You can use shortcut keys to navigate. Having several windows from the same applications: use Alt+`

Faster.
                How? Which method?

Comment

• Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                  So does Gnome Shell. Usefulness depends of users themselves wishing to add functionality through extensions. Cinnamon demonstrated Gnome Shell flexibility which hardly needs to be forked.
                  Gnome Classic (using well crafted extensions) made Cinnamon moot.
                  Linux Mint started with gnome shell extensions. MGSE was abandoned in favor of something that would be less limiting.

Comment

Then I fail to see the relevance of your response to my criticism of gnome shell.
                    I quoted exactly what I responded to, namely that Nautilus doesn't allow for rendering background anymore. Suggest to actually read, not be so aggressive towards me.

Comment

• Originally posted by eliac View Post
                      Take a deep breath and read my post again.
                      I answered intellivision about something like krunner - supposedly used in a keyboard centered workflow - vs launching applications via a full screen launcher. My answer is that a properly done full screen launcher is as good as a top bar for such job. The same is true of gnome-do and can be true of searchable menu systems like in cinnamon or other environments.
                      I did not write anything about Gnome shell being specifically faster than any of the other good options, nor did I set up any straw man.
                      What I did say is that the design of the application launcher as a full screen interface makes sense for an intrinsically disrupting operation such as starting a new application. On the other hand someone finds gnome shell's overview too distracting as a task switcher. I can't really say how much of that is simply the habit of having a task bar, but I'm glad they are getting one with official support in 3.8
                      I don't know who you're assigning to your mythical "you people" group, but you're barking under the wrong tree here. I'm simply interested in UI design, whatever OS and DE I can find useful ideas in.
                      Apologies. I did not realize that Krunner was a keyboard launcher like Gnome Do, so I didn't realize the context of your response. I thought it was an argument redirecting from Gnome Shell's difficult GUI by promoting it's key bindings. My patience for that tactic is getting thin as of late.

Comment

Working...
                      X