Fedora Proposal To Use Cinnamon Desktop By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thalaric View Post
    There are numbers, you just refuse to acknowledge them. They show gnome polling at roughly 25% of install base. Gnome used to exceed kde and now it's doing roughly half of kde, excepting on fedora.
    Are we talking about the different polls posted by someone earlier in this thread? In that case I think I made pretty clear why I don't think they are really showing anything.
    I'll happily acknowledge numbers that are collected in a sound way.
    Note that I also have a feeling that GNOME numbers have dropped over the last years. But I'd "blame" that on Unity, and not on some failure of GNOME3.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomato View Post
      We wouldn't have this argument in the first place if Gnome developers didn't actively remove functionality!
      Somebody started the argument and I pointed out alternate approach to address the problem by getting involved yourself in the project.
      You want that functionality so bad? Start here: https://live.gnome.org/Nautilus/Development/Extensions

Comment

• Originally posted by finalzone View Post
        You want that functionality so bad? Start here: https://live.gnome.org/Nautilus/Development/Extensions
        Why should end users waste time installing missing functionality when other desktop environments have sane defaults? What gnome developers did to nautilus is just another example of hubris. Either gnome will loosen up on its "vision" or it will continue to lose ground. Personally, I think it's likely they will start to compromise more. I noticed Fedora 18 had a shutdown menu item despite over a year of claiming it didn't belong there. Is that in official GS 1.6?

Comment

• Originally posted by thalaric View Post
          Why should end users waste time installing missing functionality when other desktop environments have sane defaults? What gnome developers did to nautilus is just another example of hubris. Either gnome will loosen up on its "vision" or it will continue to lose ground. Personally, I think it's likely they will start to compromise more. I noticed Fedora 18 had a shutdown menu item despite over a year of claiming it didn't belong there. Is that in official GS 1.6?
          What is this magic feature that everyone seems to use in nautilus that is no longer there?
          Yes, the shutdown button is back. I don't think it was really a "compromise". It was (in my opinion) a bad decision, and they changed it. The relevant bug is here: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=675802

Comment

• Originally posted by kickback999 View Post
            Why not give people the empowerment of choice?
            KDE, XFCE, MATE, Cinnamon, etc. You've never had more choice, so pick one and quit whining.

Comment

• Originally posted by kigurai View Post
              What is this magic feature that everyone seems to use in nautilus that is no longer there?
              Yes, the shutdown button is back.
              For me the magic feature is tree view. For others it will be a different missing feature because they pulled out a complete bullet list for the 1.6 cycle.

BTW, if you click through your link to the other bug it references you can read them trying to figure out if they need a power off option. How long did it take them to come to that conclusion? Classic. I'm sure that was the only decision they were mistaken on though.

Comment

• BTW, if you click through your link to the other bug it references you can read them trying to figure out if they need a power off option. How long did it take them to come to that conclusion? Classic. I'm sure that was the only decision they were mistaken on though.
                Mistake was made, and is now corrected. The fact that you could find something negative about this shows what a fantastic place Phoronix is.

Comment

• Originally posted by kigurai View Post
                  Mistake was made, and is now corrected. The fact that you could find something negative about this shows what a fantastic place Phoronix is.
                  Of course, Gnome devs is the holiest of people around, they make "mistake", not design decision I tell ya, after "mistake" and backped- ehm, correcting themselves after community began to leav- ehm, they realize the error. And of course, that was the only "mistake" they ever made.

Oh with you around, Kigurai, Phoronix is a wonderful place to be, in gnome dream land, where no other user use case exist and yours is the only perfect way to use gnome, don't try too hard to "understand" their moaning about missing features you don't miss, it's inferior in Gnome dream land.

Comment

• Originally posted by headuparses View Post
                    Of course, Gnome devs is the holiest of people around, they make "mistake", not design decision I tell ya, after "mistake" and backped- ehm, correcting themselves after community began to leav- ehm, they realize the error. And of course, that was the only "mistake" they ever made.
                    We can call it a bad design decision instead of a mistake, if that makes you happy. They meant the same to me.
                    I don't think anyone has claimed that there are no more mistakes or bad design decisions.

Oh with you around, Kigurai, Phoronix is a wonderful place to be, in gnome dream land, where no other user use case exist and yours is the only perfect way to use gnome, don't try too hard to "understand" their moaning about missing features you don't miss, it's inferior in Gnome dream land.
                    Yeah, because it's not like I actually pointed out just that a few pages ago. It's like no one actually reads all the 21 pages of this thread before replying
                    On a more serious note, and to reiterate: I don't think GNOME is for everyone. It probably has never been since there were obviously lots of KDE/XFCE/LXDE/...-users long before GNOME3.
                    If you are not interested in the GNOME-approach to things, you are lucky to have multiple other offers.

Comment

• Again, all of these complaints about hubris and ego when it seems to me that the anti-GNOME camp has evolved into a mutual moaning society that seems hell bent on bashing on anyone and everyone who disagrees with them. You do not get the sick irony of you bashing the GNOME devs for only allowing for their vision but then you do the exact same thing when espousing your own? Grow up everyone, please.

Some people like GNOME Shell, such as kigurai, and this offends you. It goes against your worldview. Suck it up. Other people use a computer differently than you. It is about the freedom to choose and use what suits them best, something you people love to espouse but refuse to actually acknowledge applies to yourselves.

Also, here we have another example of the Gnome developers actually doing what you want which you then somehow use as an example of how they do not listen to you. Yeah, interesting that...

And I am an Xfce user, so you can not just write off my comments as being from some raging Gnome Fanboy.

Comment

Working...
                      X