No announcement yet.

Valve Pushes Out Half-Life For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Says "Failed to launch game (missing executable)" though.
    Am trying to get past this as being a Half-Life mod it should be fairly simple?

Comment

Awesome.. never did get to play the original. Looks like I have a reason too now Thanks Valve!

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        Ok that came unexpected, I honestly expected to see their Source titles out first...

Edit: it's not listed in the Linux games and the Store page claims it's Windows-only... Where did you get this from Micheal?
        On the steam forums a few have already played it. ( those who have hl )
        I am thinking of installing it.

Comment

Originally posted by F i L View Post
          Awesome.. never did get to play the original. Looks like I have a reason too now Thanks Valve!
          I have to say that of FPS games, the original Half-life has to be the one which I've had the most enjoyment out of, all things considered. Great single-player campaign and of course the endless multiplayer Half-life/MOD skirmishes at LAN parties back in the day.

That said, Starcraft Broodwars will always be my number one game when all genres are considered, I've notched up a frightening number of hours playing that game, still do play it from time to time in a WM against buddies, it just never gets too old!

Comment

For those interested, you can just buy the Windows version to get access to the Half-Life (Beta) entry in the Linux library. That is what I did a few hours ago and have been enjoying the game since. Runs great for me on Kubuntu 12.04, only had a few minor issues. Mostly an occasional glitch in the overlay text where there are random letters missing, similar to what happens with TF2 just much less frequently. Also got stuck in a wall when loading an area once, but that is likely a bug that isn't specific to the Linux port.

Some folks have complained about missing sound fx when not using Pulseaudio. It doesn't effect me as I am using Pulse, but apparently it is a dependency at this point. Others have had issues with looking up and down with the mouse, not sure what is causing that as I haven't run into that one. Also seen a few reports of rare instances of missing textures in certain areas, still haven't seen that one personally either. After I stopped playing a little bit ago the game updated though, so some of these issues may already be cleared up.

Comment

I used to make tutorials and help people map and mod on the old Valve-ERC forum :-) This I am very warm and unexpected move by valve

Comment

This is awesome! I never did get to play through this one.

just fyi, I recall getting stuck in a wall when I played this under Wine, years ago. It's probably not a Linux specific bug.

Comment

Originally posted by kickback999 View Post
                  Says "Failed to launch game (missing executable)" though.
                  Am trying to get past this as being a Half-Life mod it should be fairly simple?
                  I launched CS (after installing it via Steam) with this command:
                  Code:
                  cd ~/Steam/SteamApps/common/Counter-Strike; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:. ./hl_linux -game cstrike;
                  From: http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...7912687423427/

I can only assume it will be the same type of command to launch other HL1 based mods, the command is very similar to how we used to launch mods back in the days on windows to go straight into the mod, instead of going into HL first, then click mods and selecting your mod.

Comment

You can start counter strike using:
                    Code:
                    cd ~/.steam/root/SteamApps/common/Counter-Strike
                    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/.steam/bin:. LD_PRELOAD=gameoverlayrenderer.so ./hl_linux -game cstrike -console
                    Then you can try "cl_showfps 1". It did not start on my netbook with 1024x600 fullscreen due to a bug, but just edited the hl.conf that is created on start and set it to windowed, then it gave me over 30 fps. That's really nice...

Comment

Been playing counterstrike all afternoon.

Thanks Valve

Looking forward to CS Source and CS:GO

Comment

Working...
                      X