No announcement yet.

Valve Pushes Out Half-Life For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the big box GOTY edition. Can you only play it if you bought it digitally?

Comment

Since I got the Valve Pack I was wondering where it would take me (with GNU/Linux). Reading forums made me a little sad, as most people believed only Source games were worth the effort for Valve. I hope now we can get to play Half Life series beginning to end (my fear was that we would not). Great news!

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
        I have the big box GOTY edition. Can you only play it if you bought it digitally?
        I don't think so. but you can simply find out, install it, and see what steam does.

Add game to library I believe, its called.

It then asks for the cd / dvd key of your game.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
          Ok that came unexpected, I honestly expected to see their Source titles out first...

Edit: it's not listed in the Linux games and the Store page claims it's Windows-only... Where did you get this from Micheal?
          Michael doesn't like to post his sources so other sites don't use them

Source is Here: http://cdr.xpaw.ru/linux/

Also Counter Strike 1.6 is coming with instructions: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...-to-linux.1668

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
          It should have a cd key to redeem on Steam if not you didn't get a legit copy (all Valve games have cd keys for redeeming on Steam).

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
            So... it's happening...

Not that it's that important, the old GoldSrc games run pretty well under Wine. But native Linux games are always Good News... still waiting for L4D2, though.
            foreshocks: smaller earthquakes preceding the largest earthquake of a series concentrated in a restricted crustal volume.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin View Post
              I hope this means there will be the original Counter-Strike on linux, too.
              Im still playing it sometimes.

Btw: I just testet it
              when i changed the sound volume it snapped to 0 and i cant change it back
              also i cant look up or down with the mouse
              but still pretty awsome
              i have same problem with mouse ; p

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin View Post
                I hope this means there will be the original Counter-Strike on linux, too.
                Im still playing it sometimes.
                Apparently, CS 1.6 is also available on Linux as of now:

Hm, I wonder what this is: http://i.imgur.com/BuLFz7E.jpg (Not wine, I promise I'm not that mean) So far I can't connect to any servers (assets don't match). Anyone want to host a server and I'll try to connect? Steam -> All Games -> Counter Strike -> Properties -> Beta -> SteamPipe Beta -> Install then: cd ~/Steam/SteamApp/common/Counter-Strike; LD_LIBRARY_PATH:"$LD_LIBRARY_PATH":.

Hadn't time to test it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Holy cow! How great is that?
                  They release a game on Linux 15 years after it was released on windows. I would say that is piss poor. Where are the all the games based on the source engine? We have been hearing about them for a while now but Team Fortress is all I have seen. *yawn* 2013 better be the year of Linux games. Windows is wasting a perfectly good disk for the sake of games.

Comment

Originally posted by ronybeck View Post
                    They release a game on Linux 15 years after it was released on windows. I would say that is piss poor. Where are the all the games based on the source engine? We have been hearing about them for a while now but Team Fortress is all I have seen. *yawn* 2013 better be the year of Linux games. Windows is wasting a perfectly good disk for the sake of games.
                    Thanks for your input.
                    Really!

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                      Thanks for your input.
                      Really!
                      Indeed, that fella's got a piss poor attitude.

Comment

Working...
                      X