Xfce 4.12 Desktop Is Moving Along For Release Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    I must admit many GTK3 applications are looking a bit odd for me at the moment when using other non-Gnome DEs.
    Yes, I know!
    That sucks!
    It is because GNOME are dumbing them down with the GMenu (GNOME Menu).

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
      The new shortcuts pane wastes vertical space and the reload button is in the wrong place (? la Firefox).
      I prefer to use the tree view in the shortcuts pane so it doesn't waste space. I use pathbar style, so the reload button thing doesn't concern me, though I can see why it might annoy some people.

As for gtk3 theming, I prefer dark themes (white text on black), and the closest thing I've found is a theme called xfce-dusk-gtk3, but it hasn't been updated in a year. gtk3 theming standards have changed a bit since then, so I get some visual anomalies and a bunch of warnings in the terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        I'm using Thunar 1.6.2 now and editing multuple file properties is cool because I can do basic audio tagging easier.
        Thanks for heads-up, this is the only problem I had with XFCE, its so good they fixed it!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          GTK 3 has lots of great themes.
          Such as Greybird, Zukini, Zukitwo, eGTK (elementary), etc.
          Maybe but I?ve had trouble finding a good working dark (bright text on dark bg) theme. And finding one that is available for both Gtk2 and Gtk3?

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
            Qt5 is slower than Qt4 in many cases because support for native graphics system was removed.
            How slower?

Comment

Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
              How slower?
              qtperf is 2/6 times slower on my current/previous machine with raster graphics system which is only system supported by Qt5.

Comment

Qt5 is slower than Qt4 in many cases because support for native graphics system was removed.
                What do you mean by native graphics system? Why has it been removed?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                  What do you mean by native graphics system? Why has it been removed?
                  Qt4 supports 3 graphics systems (backends): native, raster, opengl
                  which can be changed when application is started.
                  Qt5 supports only raster. Native was probably removed because it isn't platform independent and they don't want to fix Linux specific bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                    Fedora 17 did not ship with Xfce 4.10 even though it was released at a similar time during it's development cycle. What about 4.12 is any different?
                    The XFCE Fedora maintainer created a personal repository (using the Fedora infrastructure) w/ fully updated XFCE 4.10 for both Fedora 16 and Fedora 17.

Simply drop the fedora-xfce.repo file in /etc/yum.repo.d and you're done.

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Qt5 supports only raster.
                      This isn't actually true, Qt5 also supports scenegraph which is based on OpenGL and said to be much faster

Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 16 March 2013, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X