Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel SNA Continues To Be Tweaked

Phoronix: Intel SNA Continues To Be Tweaked

SNA, Intel's newest acceleration architecture for their open-source X.Org graphics driver, continues to receive improvements on a near daily basis...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Speaking of Intel fallbacks, when updating our family laptop from openSUSE 12.1 to 12.2, the xf86-video-intel package somehow got deselected. That caused the laptop to fall back to whatever it falls back to in that case. And nobody ever noticed that, for three months! I only noticed it when I tried to connect it to a TV via HDMI, and xrandr (and its KDE configuration tool) kept claiming that there was no other screen connected, even though it was cloning the display just fine. After installing the package, there are few differences, as there are never any 3D applications run there to begin with. So that was pretty impressive.

Speaking of SNA, can all the Intel hardware benefit from it, or only some of them?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Speaking of SNA, can all the Intel hardware benefit from it, or only some of them?
      Yes, at least all IGPs that support it (almost all).

Unfortunately there are still some minor issues left with older generation hardware causing him headaches.

Obviously some of the older chips don't behave nicely. :/

Chris Wilson does a magnificent job!
      Last edited by entropy; 24 January 2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

gen4

the fonts seem to have less contrast

I don't know how to explain it, more blur and more reddish less defined...

Comment

I'm really glad I bought a notebook and desktop with intel HD4000 graphics. Amazing support!

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            Yes, at least all IGPs that support it (almost all).
            http://www.x.org/wiki/IntelGraphicsDriver
            Ah, so whatever supports UXA can also use SNA. That's pretty good! (and makes things even more confusing, given the name with "Sandy Bridge" in it )

Comment

Working...
            X