CrossOver 12.1 Ditches Wine-Mono

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
    also, did anyone of you guys who now flame around about how bad mono is and can do no better than doing ad-hominem-attacs ever work with C#? I do as part of my job and can tell you, it's one of the most awesome languages that I worked with yet (kinda like Java without the cruft). Don't be a FLOSS-Nazi and think everything that originates from a company who does proprietary software is evil without even checking.
    Have you worked with D? Because from what I've seen, C# is what amounts to an interpreted version of D built around a proprietary virtual machine.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Have you worked with D? Because from what I've seen, C# is what amounts to an interpreted version of D built around a proprietary virtual machine.
      C# is more like a cross between Java and C++.

And it can run natively, so it's not an "interpreted version" of anything.

Comment

Just like Python then. And we all know python is cool - unlike mono

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          C# is more like a cross between Java and C++.
          So is D.

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          And it can run natively, so it's not an "interpreted version" of anything.
          So can Java.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
            Just like Python then.
            well, not quite ... the statement that c# is interpreted is obviously bullshit. It's compiled into an intermediate language and then JIT-ed during runtime (like Java)
            Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
            And we all know python is cool - unlike mono
            1st part: no disagreeing there. 2nd part: all a matter of propaganda imo.

Python opened my eyes how nice programming languages could be (before had worked with Java mostly). I esp like not having to use curly brackets as they are shitty to reach on german keyboards . On the other hand I missed statically typed interfaces (I generally prefer to know what data type I should pass to a function).

C# is awesome because you can work really fast with it (like Python). Statically typed, but you can use type inference for local variables (so no more CrazyLongClassName xyz = new CrazyLongClassName()), the .Net framework is obviously amazing at doing the common tasks for you, and I think at least 80% of my new code is LINQ (arguably the app I work on does mostly transforms on stuff it gets from DB -> perfect for the job) which makes it easily readable (nested foreachs are so fugly).

But imo the strongest point for C# (from a programmers perspective, as I said I don't give a fuck about ideology) is that is has a damn good development environment (visual studio) with tools integration (eg. nuget to say the least). I mean I know that every language has some kind of package download tool (or even multiple which is imo even worse than having none at all) but none is as easy to use as just right-clicking on a solution and saying "manage dependencies" and you have all your current dependencies and the whole package repository in a nice UI. Normally you have to go to a command-line and do "easy-install xyz" or something which imo sucks bad from user experience PoV (and yes, the developer who wants to develop in your language _is_ your user!).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              interpreted
              You're an idiot and you don't know what that word means

proprietary virtual machine.
              You're an idiot and you don't know what that word means

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                This jerk is MS sponsored to pollute Linux with MS patents and to fight Qt.
                You're an insane conspiracy theorist with no grounding in reality.

Comment

Working...
                X