Alan Cox Calls Fedora 18 "The Worst Red Hat Distro"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
    They are both v1.0s. As in the case of all v1.0s, you may want to exercise some frickin' caution.
    Adam, versions numbers mean bubkus as nobody stipulates what a version represents. After all, this is the 18th version of Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
      It still makes no sense. There are use-cases where a single-user machine needs logout. For instance in a workplace environment where your workstation is also running a file server so you don't want to shut it off when you go home. You want to LOG OUT so your co-workers will not have access to your email but you don't want to shut down the machine. You don't want to leave your session running in the background because you will have open files on file servers and the sys admins will get pissed at you when they want to run backups. For instance at home when you don't want your sig other to be poking through your old love letters, you want to be able to LOG OUT without turning off the computer because you still want to record that tv show using mythtv.
      Most normal users have no need to log out of the desktop, where logging back in with the same user and the same session is the only option available, so I can understand why they would hide the option. However, your point is valid and fortunately the logout button is only hidden. A fairly trivial google search would tell you how to show it again, but I will save you the time. Open up dconf-editor and navigate to org->gnome->shell and tick the box next to the "always-show-log-out" key. Problem solved

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        There are quite a few good reasons to log out and log in again, for example when you added the user to a new group. You need to log out and in again to make the environment aware of that.
        Gnome developers think it's never necessary to add the user to a new group. (trollface.jpg)

Comment

/sigh

Maybe at some point KDE will rise from the ashes again. I must admit, KDE has been far more usable than the steaming pile that is Gnome 3.x for a good while. That being said, when I installed F18 this time I played with numerous desktops and ended up (at the moment) on LXDE. I had not played with LXDE for a good while, so decided why not? Honestly, it is pretty decent for simple everyday usage.

The issues with the installer were well noted in the release notes, so I will not go into my thoughts other than to say I think it is a half-step backwards overall. I can see the potential for future improvements.

My plan is to wait for KDE 4.10 to become full release and give KDE a try once again to see how much overall improvement have accrued.

Perhaps one of these days I will get off my ... lazy... and install Arch. That being said, Fedora is still my overall favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by brightside View Post
            A fairly trivial google search would tell you how to show it again, but I will save you the time. Open up dconf-editor and navigate to org->gnome->shell and tick the box next to the "always-show-log-out" key. Problem solved
            This is BEYOND FUCKING STUPID!!!

You are telling me that they have SIMPLIFIED and STREAMLINED the user interface by making the user run a google search and edit configuration settings if they want to log out???

YES it is TRUE the gnome developers have LOST THEIR MINDS

HOLY FUCK even WINDOWS 8 lets you log out without resorting to editing the registry.

Yes indeed sir here is your new automobile, you need to put it up on a lift and remove the oil pan if you want to change radio stations.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              Yes there is! Stop removing fucking features! With how buggy gnome 3 code is probably it doesn't even correctly realize every time when a new user or DE is added. Why the hell would you add this 'feature' of removing the log out button? Do you realize there was some guy who actually thought that would be a good idea? And then he proceeded to actually code for this useless functionality? And he still has the same rights as other sane people?
              Features those can return through extensions, Nautitus-terminal is one of them. Want extra, write yourself if you are skilled enough:

The missing log out is explained so readers can understand the rationale yet some of them prefer to scream. The way above post mention is hard to take seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by brightside View Post
                fortunately the logout button is only hidden.
                No doubt the user understands and appreciates the difference between a control that's hidden and a control that's not there.

Yes indeed I feel so much better knowing that you haven't actually simplified anything at all, but added even more bloat and even more opportunity for regressions and bugs while simultaneously removing user functionality. The gnome developers define this state of affairs as "progress"

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                  Features those can return through extensions, Nautitus-terminal is one of them. Want extra, write yourself if you are skilled enough:

The missing log out is explained so readers can understand the rationale
                  It's nice to know that phoronix forums is the official place to look if you need gnome assistance. No doubt my wife will know to look here when she has problems.

YOU PEOPLE HAVE WALLED YOURSELF INTO YOUR LITTLE CASTLE and you have NO FUCKING CLUE about average users and average usage. You assert that average normal users should be making google searches and editing raw configuration data to do NORMAL EVERYDAY THINGS.

Maybe you should put up a web page with instructions on how to get your connectivity working and put a link to it on the desktop. Users can click on it if they want to figure out how to connect to the internet. Do it! It would be TOTALLY consistent with your brain death.

You think you can throw 30 years of user interface research into the dumpster and create your own? The new gnome has all the sophistication of a geocities web page filled with blink tags.

AND BLOODY FUCKING HELL! You think you are making things EASIER for people by providing a configuration editor? Yes indeed give 'em an interface where one false keystroke means you have totally botched your gnome setup. THE ROOF IS ON FIRE!
                  Last edited by frantaylor; 23 January 2013, 07:17 PM.

Comment

hey gnome developers

My employer's preferred server platform is RHEL and we send a LOT of customers to RedHat for their OS requirements.

We could JUST AS EASILY send them to IBM to buy AIX if we feel that RHEL is not serving our needs.

So PAY FUCKING ATTENTION! WE are the people who are paying your salaries and WE can send our money elsewhere if we want. You MUST provide an operating system that we can recommend to our customers or else you will be SOL.

If you KEEP IT up with the stupid antics and treating your users like experimental animals then you will be UNEMPLOYED.

Comment

Wow, such hate on here. Look, if you're really going to get pissy, don't blame the people at Red Hat. Blame the people at GNOME. My install of Fedora 18 KDE is working great. It's mainly the GNOME version that is having issues. Unlike GNOME, KDE doesn't generally remove or hide features either.

Comment

Working...
                      X