Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alan Cox Calls Fedora 18 "The Worst Red Hat Distro"

Hybrid View

Default Alan Cox Calls Fedora 18 "The Worst Red Hat Distro"

Phoronix: Alan Cox Calls Fedora 18 "The Worst Red Hat Distro"

Alan Cox, the venerable Linux kernel developer presently employed by Intel and an avid open-source enthusiast, has lashed out against the recent release of Fedora 18. Cox calls the new Fedora release, "the worst Red Hat distro I've ever seen." Alan ended up switching to Ubuntu as a result of his disastrous experience with Fedora 18...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4MjI

One more review that does the rounds currently and which heaps criticism especially on the installer:
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-18-kde.html

I definitely agree that what they did to Anaconda is horrible. The installer is a steaming pile of dog feces in its current state.

The anaconda installer has got the gnome-shell syndrome in UI design. Fedora gets much right, but they have made some strange decisions..

Too bad Cinnamon is not available in the Ubuntu repository.

Too bad OpenSCAD does not have syntax highlighting.

If someone wants stability, he shouldn't use Fedora to begin with. It's a test bed for Red Hat.

Default Fedora 18 with Cinnamon is just great.

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    Too bad Cinnamon is not available in the Ubuntu repository.

Too bad OpenSCAD does not have syntax highlighting.
    Some guys are spoiled. Some guys always write perfect code. Some guys were born as perfect coders and programmers.

Fedora 18 applications are just fine. UEFI delayed Fedora development to where delivery was late. Is the installer a bad design. I definitely say no. The concept is very good. Do the updates according to your preferences, -- keyboard, language, and so forth.

Is it a beta implementation -- a first effort to make it work, I say yes. It needs some extra quality control.

My fault with Gnome is that has the design that is trying to please desktop users and tablet users. And it does neither very well. So, if the argument about Fedora 18 is negative, you must blame the DE. (Presentation design).

I use Gnome rarely with Fedora 18. Cinnamon is a fantastic DE for Fedora 18. Cinnamon replaced Nautalus, uses the Gnome GUI libraries and is superb. It makes Fedora 18 much better than Ubuntu. If Gnome continues with one more bad release, you can rest assured that it will not be number one for Fedora 20.

One nice undocumented feature of Fedora18, is the ability to log into the system in GUI mode as root. Moving files, deleting files, copying files, renaming files, in fact directory and file manipulation with a GUI interface is so much faster and safer than with command line.

Fedora18 recognizes that system maintainers are not dumbells, who have to be prevented from using a graphical user interface from a root logon.

Cinnamon and Fedora 18, a great combination.

Quote Originally Posted by chithanh View Post
    One more review that does the rounds currently and which heaps criticism especially on the installer:
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/fedora-18-kde.html
    Just read that, and had a pretty good laugh out of that The new installer really does look really, really awkward. Thinking of which, it's pretty amazing how openSUSE's YaST installer, while being around for quite a large number of years (it was in pretty much the exact same form as it is now back in SuSE 9.2 times, if not earlier), is still one of the most sane and streamlined installers I have seen. Novell must have put a good amount of thought into that.

It does always amaze me how people are happy to download an entire *computer operating system* and throw it at their computer - with valuable data on it! - without even reading the damn documentation.

For Pete's sake people, it's an operating system, not a new version of Angry Birds. You might want to read something about it before hitting the big red button. The F18 release documentation is pretty clear on the fact that the new installer UI is a first cut and still has rough edges: this isn't hidden information, it's called out in the release announcement itself. There's a guy on the Google+ thread who says "Not knowing that The World Had Changed, I downloded the DVD of F18 and tried up upgrade my machine" - where do these people come from? And what rock have they been living under while three thousand articles explained that F18 has a new installer? Sheesh.

So yeah: in case you didn't get the memo, F18 has a new installer and a new upgrade tool. They are both v1.0s. As in the case of all v1.0s, you may want to exercise some frickin' caution. If you want a Fedora release whose installer and upgrade tools were stabilized over a period of several years and 20+ releases, Fedora 17 is right in the torrent list. It works fine. If you want a nice polished version of newUI, you might want to wait for F19 or F20. It won't kill you. An operating system installer is a psychotically complex lump of code, it is not plausible that you can entirely rewrite one and get it working perfectly on the first try, and we never aimed to. We aimed to have something that broadly implemented the new design and worked reasonably well in simple cases, and that's what F18 has.

GNOME 3 is GNOME 3. We package it up and ship it. If you don't like it, use something else; Fedora does not skimp on the choices.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    For Pete's sake people, it's an operating system, not a new version of Angry Birds. You might want to read something about it before hitting the big red button. The F18 release documentation is pretty clear on the fact that the new installer UI is a first cut and still has rough edges: this isn't hidden information, it's called out in the release announcement itself. There's a guy on the Google+ thread who says "Not knowing that The World Had Changed, I downloded the DVD of F18 and tried up upgrade my machine" - where do these people come from? And what rock have they been living under while three thousand articles explained that F18 has a new installer? Sheesh.
    Adam, that really doesn't cut it as an excuse. Yes, it's a new installer, and this fact is well advertised. But if you have so little faith in the installer that you're cautioning people not to upgrade to F18, why the hell would you even release it?