Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Formally Brings Native Client To ARM

Phoronix: Google Formally Brings Native Client To ARM

With the Chrome 25 web-browser, Google is bringing Native Client (NaCl) support to the ARMv7 architecture. Native Client allows for "high performance" C/C++ code to be run within the web-browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

bad idea?

Didn't "ActiveX" teach us all that this sort of thing is a really bad idea?

It's funny they call it a "sandbox" because just about every "sandbox" I've ever seen does a really poor job of keeping the sand in and the dirt out.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
      Didn't "ActiveX" teach us all that this sort of thing is a really bad idea?

It's funny they call it a "sandbox" because just about every "sandbox" I've ever seen does a really poor job of keeping the sand in and the dirt out.
      Well, activeX was at Microsoft, this is Google! How could anything bad come frome the same concept?
      Seriously, this web application craziness has got to stop. The web is amazing for data, advanced interaction is to be done locally, no excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
        Well, activeX was at Microsoft, this is Google! How could anything bad come frome the same concept?
        Seriously, this web application craziness has got to stop. The web is amazing for data, advanced interaction is to be done locally, no excuses.
        Huh? There's nothing wrong with Javascript AJAX web applications. You get full interactivity like a local app and no install is necessary.

Are you really advocating eliminating javascript and going back to static web 1.0? Do you really assert that we NEED to download native apps for stuff like filling out timecards and web order forms where some javascript can make the whole experience a lot more friendly? Why do I need to type in a date and potentially make a typo when instead I can just click on a calendar?

Do you really assert that earth.google.com should be thrown in the garbage and everyone should download google earth? Personally I think it's really quite fine that I can walk up to any random computer and get 90% of google earth's functionality by just typing an URL. You are telling me that I need to download and install google earth so I can find the nearest place to get a beer?

I think my employer would be mighty amused if you told them that their ajax web client should be replaced by a native executable. I think I would be summarily fired for incompetence if I even suggested the idea.

My problem is with letting strangers execute native code on my computer. There are just far too many nuances to the issue of preventing the user from escalating privileges or abusing pointers if you let them run native code. At least with a language like Javascript the client can have sufficient control of the run-time environment to keep rogue code from escaping.

Comment

Are you really advocating eliminating javascript and going back to static web 1.0? Do you really assert that we NEED to download native apps for stuff like filling out timecards and web order forms where some javascript can make the whole experience a lot more friendly? Why do I need to type in a date and potentially make a typo when instead I can just click on a calendar?
          No, I'm saying that web applications like gmail are IMO wrong. (notice the word 'advanced' in my initial post)
          Do you really assert that earth.google.com should be thrown in the garbage and everyone should download google earth?
          Ok, I'll admit you got me there. Even though I've never used Earth (either web or offline, I'm doing everything through Marble) I do see its usefulness...

I think my employer would be mighty amused if you told them that their ajax web client should be replaced by a native executable
          Yet not many see a problem in developing 'native' android/iOS apps.

Over the past year or two I've developed a pretty strong hatred for web browsers;I don't really know where it came from, but it certainly isn't receding.
          Also this is where I'm going to stop arguing. There is no point of hijacking this thread : I don't like the web in its present state, arguing isn't going to change that.

As for native code : an initial thought is to leverage virtualization technology like KVM. No idea how/if that would work though...

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
            Yet not many see a problem in developing 'native' android/iOS apps.
            Also this is where I'm going to stop arguing.
            What a fine PIECE OF SHIT you are, throwing out assertions and then proclaiming that you don't feel like debating them. Yes indeed we have heard the final word from Serafean, his opinions are so grand and so perfect that he can just shoot them out and declare them to be unarguable.

And of course you have no problem introducing mister straw man into the discussion and then proceeding to carry out an argument with him instead of with me.
            Last edited by frantaylor; 23 January 2013, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
              What a fine PIECE OF SHIT you are, throwing out assertions and then proclaiming that you don't feel like debating them. Yes indeed we have heard the final word from Serafean, his opinions are so grand and so perfect that he can just shoot them out and declare them to be unarguable.

And of course you have no problem introducing mister straw man into the discussion and then proceeding to carry out an argument with him instead of with me.
              I hate to see web discussions go in this direction. What you've done is make it personal and nasty, and there was never any real need for it. It's possible to disagree and still remain civil, something a lot of people on the web seem to have forgotten, or just plain not cared about. As for NaCl, it seems to be to be beneficial in that it allows things like games to be cross platform fairly easily, even if it is cheating a bit. There will be cases where a local client is required or at least preferred, and the same for web based stuff like java.

Comment

Originally posted by Redshirt001 View Post
                As for NaCl, it seems to be to be beneficial in that it allows things like games to be cross platform fairly easily, even if it is cheating a bit.
                As I see it, NaCl is only running on one platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                  As I see it, NaCl is only running on one platform.
                  NaCl works with the Chrome browser (or chromium, I think) on pretty much any platform/os that the browser runs on. How is that only one platform?

Comment

Working...
                  X