Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryao View Post
    Solaris is based on the original UNIX.
    Well so is Mac OS, technically. What's your point?

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio View Post
      Damn... do I have to read your f*cking trolling again? You didn't have to come back, you know; I'm pretty sure nobody missed you.
      tip just put them on your ignore list, then if people could just stop feeding the trolls you won't see anything by them any more (now you see the quoted text in replies).

Comment

Originally posted by scjet View Post
        Actually there was, (sort-of-getting-there), it was called "OpenSolaris", that is, until Oracle stepped in, and "Closed" ALL the doors. !

What we really need now is: "OpenHardware" -did you hear that Nvidia, ... ???!!!
        Here you go:

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Well so is Mac OS, technically. What's your point?
        If you look in header files on Solaris, you will see Bell Labs copyrights. If you look in header files on Mac OS X, you will header Reagents of the University of California copyrights. Mac OS X is based on BSD/Mach. It has no UNIX code.
        Last edited by ryao; 27 January 2013, 09:24 AM.

Comment

If you look in header files on Solaris, you will see Bell Labs copyrights. If you look in header files on Mac OS X, you will header Reagents of the University of California copyrights. Mac OS X is based on BSD/Mach. It has no UNIX code.
          But BSD is technically based on UNIX as well. So MacOS is indirectly based on UNIX. That doesn't matter though. The point was about the original UNIX, not any of it's derivatives. If the original UNIX had been completely open source, with a GPL-type license even, the world would be very different today.

Comment

OpenNutz

Originally posted by dee. View Post
            No I mean the original UNIX. Like if it had been GPL-licensed from the start (and if GPL had been invented back then).

Also, open hardware is already a Thing, and it's going to be an even bigger Thing in the coming years. Just wait when the first crowdfunded open-source ARMv8 SoC:s are produced, we're going to have fun with them. This I predict by looking into my crystal balls.
            Really?, so I guess crystal ball forgot to predict this: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTEwNTQ ?, and unfortunately many other gravestones, just like it.

If "THEY" eventually manage to "kill/lock-up" the laptop and PC, like they recently killed/locked-up the Cellphone, and "Tablet". then I forsee in my Xtal Balls, that without a true PC-replacement "OpenHardare" initiative, then there won't be many (future Home PC's / Laptops, ...) devices left,
            that we'll be able to install Linux/BSD on ?

Unless of course, the *ix's continually give into more, and more binary blobs.... but that's just suicide, in the end.

Somehow, somewhere, the great "stallman's, torvalds', ..., must have forgotten, that OpenSoftware can only be as good as OpenHardware, (and visa-versa).
            Anything else, is just a car, without a license to use the transmission in it, and therefore -dead-end !

But then again, Openhardware will never obviously appeal to big-Investors...

But yes, nonetheless, i wholeheartedly agree that we desperatley need openhardware,
            "... to be an even bigger Thing..." -than it ever was.

In summary, we now, more than ever, need a Linus Torvalds, or similar, to be the "Henry Ford of OpenHardware", for the masses. !
            Last edited by scjet; 30 January 2013, 12:00 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by scjet View Post
              Really?, so I guess crystal ball forgot to predict this: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTEwNTQ ?, and unfortunately many other gravestones, just like it.

If "THEY" eventually manage to "kill/lock-up" the laptop and PC, like they recently killed/locked-up the Cellphone, and "Tablet". then I forsee in my Xtal Balls, that without a true PC-replacement "OpenHardare" initiative, then there won't be many (future Home PC's / Laptops, ...) devices left,
              that we'll be able to install Linux/BSD on ?

Unless of course, the *ix's continually give into more, and more binary blobs.... but that's just suicide, in the end.

Somehow, somewhere, the great "stallman's, torvalds', ..., must have forgotten, that OpenSoftware can only be as good as OpenHardware, (and visa-versa).
              Anything else, is just a car, without a license to use the transmission in it, and therefore -dead-end !

But then again, Openhardware will never obviously appeal to big-Investors...

But yes, nonetheless, i wholeheartedly agree that we desperatley need openhardware,
              "... to be an even bigger Thing..." -than it ever was.

In summary, we now, more than ever, need a Linus Torvalds, or similar, to be the "Henry Ford of OpenHardware", for the masses. !
              You might like this:

Comment

You might like this:

http://www.opencompute.org/
                yep, exactly, the more the merrier, but, (as i explicity said before), PC/Desktop/Laptop/Ma and Pa/-wise,..., the real "STONE" is the video card / GPU / 3D-gimme-it-mama, multimedia ... FIRST. That's the first stone that's gotta be laid, and/or cast.
                If I can't see it or hear it?, then I don't want it dude !

...and, Without that, Linux/BSD will always be a continual/developmental "niche" phenomenom, simply for wanna-be dev's to sharpen their teeth for the what -rainbow ? -what freekin' rainbow ? -comon !?
                The complete, and recent, "LOCKING" of ALL Tablet's has NOT helped us at all, in fact, they just said NO -you cannot install your OS/Software of choice, NO jailbreaks' for you sonny.... haha.
                Really? -and just like that ? - arghhh.

It's not enough to replace Windows, Apple, ..., we-(BSD/Linux) need to be "Open"ly better, in ALL future aspects, devices, ..., everywhere, for everyone. !
                ...and NOT just the same old "regulated/permissable" NICHES' ?

Actually, forget Torvalds, we actually need another "Bill Joy", (but this time) for OpenHardware -atleast "HE" (in the past, for right or wrong reasons) accomplished BOTH, and built his UNIX-hardware for his (BSD/Solaris)OS, and visa-versa -the same HE created.
                OpenHardware must be pushed and used as much as Linux/BSD is today, otherwise, Open* will eventually be dead, except for whatever the cookie-crumb-gratuitous existing (closed-proprietary) Corps' "lend" us. <- pfffft?!

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT mind paying for it, I just want "it's>" drivers/firmware/whatever... to work in *BSD, and/or Linux. ya, why not ?

There is NO "icing" on this cake man.
                Last edited by scjet; 31 January 2013, 12:19 PM.

Comment

This is better than the Zoo

Originally posted by BSD SUCKS DICKS View Post
                  PKGNG (which stands for PacKaGe NigGer).
                  HAHAHAHA x'D

Who was the genius who first said "don't feed the troll"? Here sweety, keep doing your stuff =)

Comment

Retards everywhere...

Originally posted by BSD SUCKS DICKS View Post
                    I agree, just take a look at their latest propaganda:

http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/r...01/FreeBSD.jpg

This hear is evidence that BSD people hate Linux. And we as Linux users and supporters must stand up against them and beat them back.

Teach them a lesson and confiscate their source code, remove the BSD license and put GPL on it and give the source code to the Linux foundation.

Also if the FSF principles make it to law (Which I hope they will) they should make sure that anyone who develops and/or uses BSD or follow their practices of licensing software under the BSD license should be put in jail. (I'm serious)
                    Now, seriously... is this kind of stuff true? What the fuck happens to people?
                    A bit of trolling is somewhat funny and help keep all involved parties push forward (and harder!) but this kind of crap, from both sides... Jesus man!

One would think that this kind of stuff is only seen between primitive people with very little to no education at all, you know, the kind of people that can stab each other because they just don't like how the other one looks at him/her, but between computer users!? WTF!
                    I would never expect something like this (and I'm not talking about this BSD SUCKS idiot) from people with the tools to not only operate a computer but actually learn it's internals.

The world is rotten more than I can imagine >

Comment

• Originally posted by kov3n View Post
                      Now, seriously... is this kind of stuff true? What the fuck happens to people?
                      A bit of trolling is somewhat funny and help keep all involved parties push forward (and harder!) but this kind of crap, from both sides... Jesus man!

One would think that this kind of stuff is only seen between primitive people with very little to no education at all, you know, the kind of people that can stab each other because they just don't like how the other one looks at him/her, but between computer users!? WTF!
                      I would never expect something like this (and I'm not talking about this BSD SUCKS idiot) from people with the tools to not only operate a computer but actually learn it's internals.

The world is rotten more than I can imagine >
                      This is how BSD people behave. And they do it more so then ever because linux is far more popular and killing BSD.

Most of these people are actually criminals who violate the GPL on a regular basis.

Comment

Working...
                      X