Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 18 Systemd Boot Performance Is Mixed

Phoronix: Fedora 18 Systemd Boot Performance Is Mixed

In addition to open-source graphics driver benchmarking, another area being explored with the recent release of Fedora 18 is the boot performance. Here's some initial results from three systems compared to the Spherical Cow's predecessor.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So boot perfomance depends on hardware config. The regressions can be found by using systemds blame/analyze tools.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

In addition to open-source graphics driver benchmarking, another area being explored with the recent release of Fedora 18 is the boot performance. Here's some initial results from three systems compared to the Spherical Cow's predecessor.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=18402
      I don't think there was a regression in the user space. I think the way systemd measures load times for the components changed from F17 to F18. There's no way a default Fedora userspace is loading in 4s with a rotational disk.

Comment

On my hardware, the total boot time is noticibly faster in 64-bit Fedora 18 KDE.

Comment

Cannot confirm

On my X220 with SandyBridge Hardware and an SSD, Fedora 18 is booting faster in my opinion.

I have five systems with Fedora 18 running upgraded from Fedora 17. On none of them the boot time regressed in any noticeable manner. I rather think it got farther, altough I did not measure it.

Comment

Suspend to disk?

Just use that and have your system up in less than 10 seconds...

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
              Just use that and have your system draw a black screen in 10 seconds...
              Fixed that for you (when using the NVIDIA driver at least)... this is why I never suspend or hibernate.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                Fixed that for you (when using the NVIDIA driver at least)... this is why I never suspend or hibernate.
                So... man power should think to solve hibernation problems rather than boot speed.

Anyway that's strange, i always used hibernation (first tuxonice, then vanilla) with:
                7900gt,9600gt,9800gt and ion first gen without problems across kernel releases for years.
                Last edited by kokoko3k; 23 January 2013, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  This is not a good article! It would be interesting where the problem exactly is! As "funkSTAR" said, you can analyze this with systemd's blame!
                  Last edited by Steffo; 23 January 2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

This realy sucks, if it is practicaly slower in Fedora 18 as well.

I have not realy felt the need for a SSD, because Fedora 17 boots realy fast en feels realy responsive for file lookup. For example when I mount a Windows partition, Rhythmbox instantly displays all music that's on that drive, and scrolling and previewing a map full of pictures is so fast that I can't notice any slowdowns using a HDD.

I hope that once I install Fedora 18 on my new (refurbished) desktop with a standard Seagate Baracuda 500GB, this isn't making me downgrade to Fedora 17

Comment

Working...
                    X